Forum Name: 2011 ARCHIVE
Forum Discription: posts and pictures from 2011
URL: http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4293
Printed Date: 22 Oct 2019 at 7:15am

Topic: Planet colours.
Posted By: Charlie
Subject: Planet colours.
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 8:33am
I have been asked by someone what the correct colour is for a Planet seeder. I think it is green, does anyone know what shade of green?

Replies:
Posted By: james 154
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 4:10pm
i painted mine a apple green

-------------
am i missing a eyebrow

Posted By: steve.woollas
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 7:46pm
Hello Charlie,
    As these machines were produced in America it has over the years proven difficult to establish the correct shade of green for Planet Jr equipment. We have catalogues from 1922 into the mid 1950s but colour isn't mentioned.
The original seeder we have is very close to the good old favourite Mid Brunswick Green and a refurb in this colour tends to look authentic.
The hoes are the same colour with black tools.
No doub't now I have said this someone will enlighten us to the correct colours and we will all have to re-paint our machines.
I did some years ago contact Lloyds of Letchworth who were major importers/distributors of Planet Jr equipment but the person there could not help with a precise colour.
Hope that helps--Steve.

Posted By: Charlie
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:59pm
Thanks Steve, I will pass the information to Gordon at the museum at Waterperry nr Oxford. Nice little museum, well worth a visit if you are in the area.
Waterperry was a school of horticulture for womem and featured briefly in Mud Sweat and Tractors.

Posted By: djhs196
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 3:41pm

Hi there,

May be late to this one; found a few pics of Planet Seeders on the www which look to have the original transfers on - the background, in this case anyway, behind the transfers looks to be an Olive Green.

Other parts of the machine have been repainted more recently. Any suggestions of a UK make / brand that might match this?

The previously recommended green also looks good

Thanks,
Douglas

Posted By: jim beacon
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:54pm
That's the same sickly shade of green I found under the brass label on my No.33 seeder.

Jim.

Posted By: hortiman
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:29pm
My seeder is as Steve suggests mid Brunswick green, or something very similar, it is all original, and unfaded on the inside of the hopper.
Chris

-------------
"God speed the plough" Preferably on RED Diesel

Posted By: djhs196
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 10:29pm
Thanks Jim & Chris - having removed a few of the parts, and sanded down a few test spots, it looks like mine too was one of the mid Brunswick green variety; seeder shut off rod, bolts and wingnuts under the rust appearing to been painted silver (very flash!)

Print Page | Close Window