Forum Name: Ride-on machines
Forum Discription: Tractors, crawlers and ride-on mowers
URL: http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4710
Printed Date: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:17am

Topic: Mowett Mustang
Posted By: pmackellow
Subject: Mowett Mustang
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 9:24pm

New addition to the stable picked up this evening Mowett Mustang. Getting it home was not a problem..

-------------
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature

Replies:
Posted By: Trusty Bloke
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 9:49pm

Looks like we need to drag back that old Mustang posting
what sized engine is this one Paul ??

-------------
A drink's too wet without one ;-) - Southampton
May the Farce Be With You...
Lord Melchett: "If nothing else works , a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 9:53pm
I think its the 8 horse model, has the number 8 on the front (not sure if that that means much). Will look closer tomorrow in the daylight

Wendy is pleased with her (early) Birthday present !!

UPDATE - WE NOW KNOW THIS IS A 5HP MODEL.

-------------
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature

Posted By: Flatcat
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 9:59pm
I'm not sure I'd fancy using one of those!I'm most amused today!

Posted By: mowersman
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 9:59pm
Judging by the size of the engine, it looks like an 8 horse...
I love those Mowetts, I'll have to get one, one day...
Andrew

Posted By: Dieselhead
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:04pm
Good find Paul. Was it an internet jobWink

-------------
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:10pm
Thanks for your comments chaps, yes it was spotted on that website, not very far away either...

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:14pm
I will have a better look at it in daylight tomorrow, it has one forward and one reverse gear, its like a little go kart with a mowing deck !!

-------------

Posted By: Trusty Bloke
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:18pm

You have the mowing deck aswell, which could easily have been removed.
Lucky to find it in such complete condition, could easily have ended
up as a childs "go-kart" without it .....

-------------
A drink's too wet without one ;-) - Southampton
May the Farce Be With You...
Lord Melchett: "If nothing else works , a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:23pm
Yes the chap selling it wanted it to go to a good home, somebody that was going to preserve it for shows etc and not make a racer out of it, I assured him it was in safe hands...

-------------

Posted By: sten
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:26pm
Nice machine, there is a yahoo group for these and any other small ride ons with quite good info, it is called  smallridingmowers. I found it while searching for info on my Landmaster ride on.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:37pm
Thanks for the info sten, I'll have a look, just Googled Mowett Mustang and theres loads of stuff on there.

-------------

Posted By: ransomesmg6
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 7:53am
You didn't buy this from a bloke in Hawkhurst by any chance did you?

-------------
Remember!!
Nothing runs like a Deere!!
But..
Nothing trots like a Horse!!

Posted By: lawnmowerboy
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:16am
there a great little mower, i used to race one of them, ididnt make it into a racer though i bought it like that!! there great fun

-------------
Grow old, not up!!!

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 6:18pm
Any idea where the engine number can be found, I need a reference number to get it insured (or a number on the tractor itself for that matter...)

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 6:39pm
She fits in the stable !!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 6:51pm
The engine number should be on the cowling.

Posted By: nigel
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 7:46pm
cor you nicked that from right under my nose paul i was waiting for the bloke to ring me, you lucky ....... well done mate you should have dropped in why you were over here

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 8:32pm
ransomesmg6 - yes we did

Sten - thanks, I will have a look

nigel - sorry, the guy selling it did say that a chap named nigel had rang him after I had, I thought it was probably you...

-------------

Posted By: series1gem
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 8:55pm
i'm most jelous, ive allways fancied one of these, scince i first saw one on the other thread. Its going to be a very long time now before i can make another adition to my collection, well done Paul on yet another great find. I know titch was in the process of sorting briggs decals.

-------------
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 8:56pm
If the cowling is original it will give you the year the engine was made, the first 2 digits of the last set of numbers are the year.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:34pm
Thanks for the info s1g, had a good look at the cowling just now and can't see any numbers...

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:39pm

Usualy on the flat side that runs parallel with the cylinder, they are sometimes very faint.

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:40pm
also sometimes hidden by the airfilter, witha briggs there WILL be a set of 3 numbers.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:43pm
Thanks gents, I will have a closer look !!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:47pm
sometimes a bit of emery paper is needed to clean the rust off, if you go on the briggs website it will even tell you how to date it to the exact day the motor was made.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:50pm
Ok thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 4:44pm
the numbers i think are the date then the production line it came off or something like that

-------------
Grow old, not up!!!

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 5:40pm
Thanks lmb

Just been to see John Cruse to get a replacement petrol tank cap, the one in the photos was borrowed from something else, the original got run over !!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 10:19pm
Another photo...

-------------

Posted By: nigel
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 2:49pm
stop rubbing it in paul

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 4:55pm
i doubt i would fit in it!!! lovely lil machin tho

-------------
Grow old, not up!!!

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:15pm
Sorry nigel !!   

It wasn't meant to be a wind up I realised that I had not put a photo of the front end of the Mustang on here...

-------------

Posted By: Hillsider
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 8:36pm
Some Briggs engines have the numbers stamped into the top face of the cowling adjacent to the spark plug so you really do need to have a good look around as has been suggested, they will be there somewhere and hopefully will still be readable.
Usually the words Model, Code and Serial number will be present with the numbers stamped below them in groups.

Good hunting
Ray.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:01pm
Thanks Ray I will have a search.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 5:51pm
Any luck with finding a date yet Paul?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 9:32pm
Not yet, was on my hands and knees today trying to find a number, need to do a bit of paint scraping as previously advised !!

Here she is today at her first show...

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 8:38pm
Still no joy in finding the engine number, i will have a good look at the Smallholders Show at the weekend, the stable is a bit crowded at the moment...

I have also dug out the Mowett Mustang article first mentioned in alans original posting on the Mustang, its in T&M August 2009 issue page 128-129, well worth a read, I can do copies for interested parties f.o.c...

-------------

Posted By: Outhouseman
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 7:55pm
Looks like the deck discharge is on the wrong side.would love to have another mower like that. I'm in the process of restoring a 5 horse power mustang now. Painting it cub cadet yellow and beige,will put up pics. When I learn how!!

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 10:50pm
That was the way the deck was mounted when I got it, perhaps it can be turned round ??

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 1:08am

Sure it can be turned around.  Your mustang looks a lot like mine when i got it.  I have to paint the hood, put the differrential together for the rear axle and rebuild/paint the motor so i guess im 50 percent done.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 1:12am

Hello, i sure would appreciate it if you could email me the article on the mustang mower. thanks Mike .. email-  mailto:outhouseman64@ymail.com - outhouseman64@ymail.com

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 5:12pm
I can do it the old fashioned way, ie a paper copy, pm me with your address and I will send you a copy...

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 6:55pm
Heres the Mustang at the Smallholders show today...

Children seem to love it !!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 10:02pm
Please note the Mustang hasn't pinched the Cub Cadets seat cover, she has her own one !!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 8:41pm
Mustang off to Ardingly again tomorrow for the Vintage Vehicle Show.

(This posting had disappeared, is now found again)

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 4:20pm
Heres the Mustang with a couple of Huffy rideons...

A deal was done over the weekend on another Mustang (not by me), so expect some pictures on here soon...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:51pm
Another Mustang has landed, see posting in general section "Happy Birthday nigel"...

It seems that our Mustang is a 5hp model now, need to get that bonnet front decal changed then !!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 1:18pm
Heres a close up shot of the bonnet decal...

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 5:15pm
The 5hp Mustang now has an 8hp stable mate, just won it on you know where, need to pick it up now !!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 4:57pm
The 2nd Mustang will be collected Friday evening, photos on here then in a seperate post.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 9:03pm
Heres the "first" Mustang (5hp despite what the bonnet decal says) in her new home on the raised storage platform in the Wheelhorse stable...

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 10:30pm
With the arrival of the 8hp Mustang you may think the 5hp has been forgotten... not a bit of it, this will have a restoration over the winter and appear in a slightly different guise next year... don't worry Dieselhead I'm not painting it pink !!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 4:54pm
5hp Mustang getting one more outing this year to The Lavender Line at Isfield, then back into the shed for her winter restoration...

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by pmackellow

5hp Mustang getting one more outing this year to The Lavender Line at Isfield, then back into the shed for her winter restoration...

Is this one going to be part of your cunning plan for T.W?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 5:06pm
Could be...

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 3:46pm
Revised plans for 2012 now, we are not going to Tractor World and the 5hp Mustang will be looking for a new home.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 5:08pm
5hp Mustang just left for its new home

-------------

Posted By: Dieselhead
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:11pm
Did it go to a fellow member Paul??

-------------
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:13pm
Indeed it did Chris.

-------------

Posted By: woody2
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:46pm
Yes, it was me. I have removed all the yellow bits today ready for refurbishment. Will have it ready for showing in the spring.

-------------
Edward

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:59pm
Nice to know its gone to a good home !!

-------------

Posted By: XlBR
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Outhouseman

Hello, i sure would appreciate it if you could email me the article on the mustang mower. thanks Mike .. email-  mailto:outhouseman64@ymail.com - outhouseman64@ymail.com

I would like to have it too.
josebrage@hotmail.com

Print Page | Close Window