Forum Name: 2011 ARCHIVE
Forum Discription: posts and pictures from 2011
URL: http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4964
Printed Date: 22 Oct 2019 at 7:28am

Topic: Propane gas torch
Posted By: Chap
Subject: Propane gas torch
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 5:57pm
Does anyone know will a propane torch be of any use for freeing off and bending of parts on our old machines will it be hot enough ?

-------------
Buy it right or buy it twice

Replies:
Posted By: series1gem
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 6:06pm
I use one at work, mainly for burning off loctite, it can help with freeing off siezed bolts and bending metal, however oxy torch is better.

-------------
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator

Posted By: enginear
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Chap

Does anyone know will a propane torch be of any use for freeing off and bending of parts on our old machines will it be hot enough ?
depend's on the size if you are talking about a large type like for tarmac then it may do the job but as has been stated it won't be as good as oxy/act.

-------------
simple

Posted By: steve.woollas
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 6:58pm
Interesting you should raise this question at this time as I spent Sunday afternoon freeing off the wheels on my Trusty jack with a prophane torch and Plus Gas. I always use the prophane torch as I dont have an oxygen bottle at home. These wheels are cast so I did not wish to get them too hot but they were locked on so solid that my swinging on a 6ft pry bar would not shift them until the heat was applied. It only takes a small rise in temperature to expand the metal to free it. I also use the same prophane torch for soldering plumbing jobs--good luck with it--Steve 

Posted By: ppplant
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:01pm
2 or 3 burners of different sizes can be useful, but I agree with Steve, very often a lot can be achieved with only a small rise in temperature.

Posted By: lawnmowerboy
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 9:25pm
i have a mini oxi acetelyne torch made by bernzomatic from ammazon i thing you can cut and braize with it too!

-------------
Grow old, not up!!!

Posted By: Hillsider
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 9:44pm
If it is of help to you I have had some good results using a Mapp gas torch, the torch is a Rothenberger with the optional pinpoint nozzle fitted.
As I understand it Mapp gas (Acetylene/Propane mixture) burns at a higher temperature than Propane even so I doubt that enough heat would be raised to bend metal of any size
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rothenberger-Super-Fire-Soldering-Torch/dp/B003AN9C9Y
Ray.

Posted By: jtg1
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 9:57pm
use rothenberger torch and mapp for all my plumbing work. very compact and far easier in confined places, than my old propane torch and bottle. good upto 28mm copper but single flame struggles on larger sizes, and you need at least 2 on 40mm plus. use it all the time in the workshop for bolts studs etc, very little chance of cracking cast with it but well up to brazing and bending small rod and strip, and for relieving stress in aluminium an cold bent steel. 

-------------
The impossible i do at once, miracles take just that little bit longer!

Posted By: daviddale
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 11:35pm
I use my Rothenberger almost daily sometimes, it's brilliant for popping in bearings in the BSA Bantam engines etc I managed to melt away some thickish aluminium a while ago, not planned! it's also very good for soldering up Bowden type cables. I have both the ordinary nozzled one and the pencil type hand held extension one too, i swear by them.

-------------
Regards, David.

Posted By: jim beacon
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 11:37pm
I have a Sievert torch with variable regulator, vaery handy for warming up stubborn parts. Sievert have a huge range of burners and torches, with lots of interchangeable parts, so you can have a huge range of heat ouput.

Jim.

Posted By: mowersman
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 12:25am
I used to use an ordinary propane torch for heating etc, but bought an old fashioned brass blow lamp off ebay a while back and found it much better. It doesn't take that long to heat up, provides a hotter flame IMO and is a lot lot cheaper to run the the propane torch was. Mine is a Bladon B53
Andrew

Posted By: Chap
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:51am
Thanks folks lots of opinions there very usefull,it would indicate that a propane burner would be ok where oxy/acet not available.these are the ones i was looking at would you go for the smaller or larger burners.

-------------
Buy it right or buy it twice

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:41am
well the first ones are fntastic for sodering and have a hell of a lot of focused heat but the bottom ones have a bigger flame but not quite so much heat and really eat the gas up!!!

-------------
Grow old, not up!!!

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:44am

-------------
Grow old, not up!!!

Posted By: simar kid
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 6:31pm
when i go to france on holiday i stock up with there version of what  L B has. the gas mix is argon and oxygen, and the other bottle is propane which you can buy here from camping shops. brilliant

-------------
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 6:40pm
why would they include an inert gas into a highly flammable mixture

-------------
Grow old, not up!!!

Posted By: simar kid
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 6:57pm
i suppose its to make it burn so you can braze and solder without changing gas cannisters. what make is yours  L B and does the gas bottle have a left hand thread fitted to it ?

-------------
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop

Posted By: Trustymasseyman
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:24pm
I use a Bernzomatic torch with MAPP (yellow can) gas. Brilliant

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:29pm
yeah i hade one of those the only problem is the cost of the bloomin gas!!!

-------------
Grow old, not up!!!

Posted By: Jimmy C
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:18pm
I use straight acetylene with pressure gauges, flash arrestor and self ignition torch, All supplied by BOC, Mostly I used it for any plumbing work when I was shopfitting but these days I find it ideal for working on the machines when the need arises.

-------------
Regards, Jim.

Posted By: owen
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:24pm

I have one of these mapp gas torches, they work very well but as l b said it's costly. I now have the smaller type of the ones you are thinking about, I find it good for freeing, soldering, light brazing on thin metal. Last week I picked up an old brazing lamp paraffin but I haven't fired it up yet. I will put a photo of it on. 

Posted By: Iron Oxide
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 11:06pm
With regard to getting steel hot enough to bend using a propane torch, you will retain a lot more heat in the material if you arrange a few fire bricks into a trough or tunnel in which to place the item. The heat is reflected onto the work and it is much more efficient. For larger items i.e. axles etc. on a machine for instance, a sheet  metal half cylinder placed behind the item will do the same.

Posted By: Charlie
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 8:26am
For welding gases at a reasonable price and no bottle rental, have a look at Adam's Gas, outlets around the country. I use them for gas for my MiG.

Posted By: nigel
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:39pm
yes i use adams as well very good service and they dont care if you use there gas in your shed unlike other firms ive dealt with Big%20smile

Print Page | Close Window