Forum Name: Projects
Forum Discription: Restorations and projects
URL: http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5903
Printed Date: 19 Oct 2021 at 6:33am

Topic: Goodwood Cultivator 1948
Posted By: simar kid
Subject: Goodwood Cultivator 1948
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 8:34pm

[IMG]uploads/20120216_194919_goodwood.jpg" height="336" width="448" />[IMG]uploads/20120216_195046_goodwood_1.jpg" height="600" width="800" />new project for 2012[IMG]uploads/20120215_203350_Goodwood_Cultiv.jpg" height="600" width="800" />

Replies:
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 8:42pm
have started the strip down and first of all i need to get a spark

-------------
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 8:48pm
as all of you will know when restoring these old girls generally you find that the coil or condenser has failed due to old age. so i have dismantled the back plate to give a clean up around all the affected areas

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 8:50pm

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 8:59pm
and of course,you guessed rightly     NO SPARK   have tested resistance of coil to 251 ohms . this is not enough you should have between 4000 to 5000 ohms so will purchase one shortly. so putting this problem on the back burner i then removed cylinder head and had a look at piston,rings and valves. the valves have around them a petrol stained finish,which makes me decide to dismantle them for further inspection.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 9:07pm
i was right to remove as the inlet was okay but needed regrinding,and the exhaust valve seat was burnt.not what you want so i borrowed a valve seat cutter and by HAND NO DRILL INVOLVED slowley cut a new seat. then lapped both valves to a gas tight fit.and now when turning over by hand i can not get passed compresion stage without covering up the drive sprocket with a rag,so that i can get a more comfortable purchase on sprocket.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 5:47am
looking at the chassis and tin work after washing,i found inside the covers where there had been no sunlight that the original colour appears to be a cross between red and orange. a very similar shade to fords sunset red.i am going to get this colour analized by a machine just to put the right colour back on as i am  very keen on colour matching.   you might have noticed by other projects.!!

-------------

Posted By: pete0250
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 8:57am
Such devotion John, well done.

-------------
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 6:43pm
just adding this shot as someone might need it for reference in the future.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 6:50pm
with the villiers engine being dark green ,firstly i looked in my paint stock to see what i had .the leaf green which i used for simar project looks okay so i have started to paint engine as we are all done except for coil.

-------------

Posted By: steve d
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 6:56pm
blimey john you really do work fast got ro hand it to you mate   the old girls coming on really well great work     ps will have some forms and things out to you at the weekend
best
steve

-------------
colwood register

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 7:53pm

Because i am running out of shed space i have remembered to put up a paint line. it certinly keeps them well clear of the work space which is to say small.all large parts are dotted around my ankles and the bench is say 3 ft square. WONDER if there are any government grants for extentions to the work place ?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 9:52pm
looking superb already john really c ant wait to meet you and see your beasts in the flesh
steve

-------------
colwood register

Posted By: series1gem
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 10:00pm
Yep, allways amazes me how quickly you progress with your projects, and the fantastic finish you achieve. Your book is allmost finished on the copier, by the way.

-------------
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 7:50pm
Talking of making progress ,today have recieved the paint for the chain guards and chassis etc.i am pushing the boat out so to speak on this one because of the small quantitys of these that have been discovered and registered. went to see my paint supplier and took the guards for a paint match on there high tech machine. NO EXPENSE SPARED and they came up with this colour,basically its an orangy red. i can not give you a name for it,but i have the formula which is displayed on the tin. see photo for this. if anyone is interested in ordering any please contact me and i will give you there contact details. "  have just noticed the date on the tins wrong "

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 7:53pm

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 3:07pm
Petrol tank prepared and brush painted,and the reduction box and axel completed.

-------------

Posted By: pmackellow
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 3:08pm
So she will be ready for Ardingly then John ??

-------------
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 3:12pm
well paul good question. but i would rather bring auto culto,because fb2 might take his goodwood,and two showing would cut down the variety of machines on display.

-------------

Posted By: Lovintractorin
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 6:07pm
That is looking very good.

Posted By: LandyMan75
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 6:29pm
Great restoration! Given me a bit of faith to crack on with some of my Villiers projects now

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 8:07pm
thank you,and welcome to the forum.i think that you will enjoy this forum as it has great variation and we have some dedicated tractor men on here like yourself.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by LandyMan75

Great restoration! Given me a bit of faith to crack on with some of my Villiers projects now
yes its time to restore for the fourth coming season.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:21pm
A small update on rebuild. gear box now fitted and drive chain,but engine problems have been sourced to a worn out condenser.i knew it was going to well,but this is the nature of the beast.have ordered one today so we could hopefully get it sparking for this weekend.

-------------

Posted By: petethebiker
Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:09pm

very immpressive restoration! if mine look half as good as that i would be happy! you should bring it! my little colwood is coming though it looks nothing like as good as that! i am hoping to make a start on the coleby this weekend as your restoration has given me inspiration!
pete

-------------
pete

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:35pm
encouraging words pete ,like you s ay it has given you a boost hope it goes well and thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by simar kid

thank you,and welcome to the forum.i think that you will enjoy this forum as it has great variation and we have some dedicated tractor men on here like yourself.

Thanks you for the welcome.

Your progress is looking great. Good luck with getting the spark problem worked out.

I need to try brushing on paint. I have spray painted with rattle cans but am never satisfied with the finish. It definitely is motivational to see your work.

-------------
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:47pm
the best tip that i can give you on hand brushing is get the best PURE bristle inch and a half brush you can find.this i think is the secret to the final finish. thanks for your coments.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 9:58pm

the best tip that i can give you on hand brushing is get the best PURE bristle inch and a half brush you can find.this i think is the secret to the final finish. thanks for your coments.

Thanks for the tip. Once the weather warms, hopefully I can brush on a little paint. I've got some metal asking for it.

-------------
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 8:29pm
t

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 8:31pm
Looking good John !!

-------------
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 8:40pm
  thanks paul,i forgot to put a small write up about the last entry. i still have not got a good coil as yet but i now think that i am making progress. the new condenser has arrived and is fitted,but until i get a spark all the tin work is lined up in order of reassembly,and strangly enough one piece,the chain guard fell off the assembly line while my back was turned and nearly killed old simar kid. must weigh at least 2 stone.a lucky escape if you ask me.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 8:38pm
 engine still on hold so have started on tool bar. had to book again to get a session on shot blaster,the only time available was "come back when the boss has gone home PM" nudge,nudge wink wink. so slid a fiver in my pocket for services rendered and what a nice job. a few photos follow.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 8:36pm
 engine refitted to chassis and also all drive chains in place. have found some new duck foot shares and at£ 5.00 each its been costly also there is VAT to be added. a typical tight fisted yorkshire man. i just can not shake it off.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:05pm

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:14pm
you have a promise from me john your goodwood will have pride of place with the colwood /dashwood line up at ardingly plus hope you like a pint or two cause you will get a couple from me in the beer tent

-------------
colwood register

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 5:53pm
thanks paul.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 5:54pm
now thats a fine gesture kind sir.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 7:12pm

Tank now on and still have to sort out the petrol tap which at the moment is soaking in petrol, i am hopeing the cork will swell up and so the tap works as it should

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 7:18pm
If the insert for the tap does not work try John Cruse at the Mower Centre, he's got a big bag of them !! 01323 842477

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 7:23pm
The toolbar has been badly bent at the chassis end,so i cut the old one out and changed it for a more sturdy profile of angle iorn. my tool frame is made in two parts and where it fixes to front or rear of machine ther is a weak spot where the two angles meet.you can see this better on one of the pictures.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 8:13am
 thanks paul for the info on the petrol tap inserts,in fact it would not harm to renew all the inserts of this type as i now have three machines with villiers type tanks

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 9:26am
Mindland Power Machinery Distrubtors in Worcester last time i checked had them listed as sulfolk punch fuel tap plungers, you get the plunger and cork brandnew and so long as you bought at least 10 were only about £1.50 each, allthougth this was a couple of years ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 4:48pm
thanks gareth. these plungers and taps are getting like buses,you dont see one,then you get loads. thanks will see where we go.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 5:29pm
You will find though that the cork doesnt like the ethanol in modern petrol, also i find if i dont soak them in petrol for a few weeks before the season starts then the cork shrinks and the tap leaks.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 9:19pm
Well i am now a happier bunny as the sparking problem has been resolved. have had talks with TITCH about grafics and these are underway.there is only the handle bars to restore now and the new blades for the three weeders have arrived. so now i need to make two legs for them to match up to the only original one on the tool bar.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:35pm
Made a little more progress today before i took my wife shopping. handle bars and support rails painted but need another coat. have got the air cleaner back on and have called it a day.

-------------

Posted By: TonySpriet
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:55pm
ClapClapClap You did it again John, what a fantastic job.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:40pm
thank you tony and with the engine now running as sweet as a nut i have been doing cartwheels. this engine has been the most expensive one so far ,as it has needed a full set of electrics and trying to time it up ,would have made a vicar swear.the main trouble on setting up timing was the flywheel moving whilst trying to pull off. remedied it by fitting some punch marks in the crank to give it some extra grip as the flywheel was tightened onto shaft.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 9:52pm
Handle bars and supports now in situ,and am looking around for hand grips. I will also need a three quarter inch inside diameter hand grip for the starting handle,i think that a push bike one will do. also this week my goal is to make two legs for the tool bar as i had a pair of wrigley ones on it and they where the wrong profile. the wear parts are here so its just a matter of time before we are ready to show. my first show is on easter sunday at Kiplin Hall Catterick N. YORKS so i would not want to miss this.anyone wanting to attend it starts at 9.30 and you dont need to book in just arrive.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 9:29pm
hand grips now been refurbished,and have finished the two legs for the duck foot wear parts. at the moment these parts etc are under going a paint.still have not found a petrol cap for the tank,and that is all i now need with the exception of grafics. this resto has been quite challenging but the hard work is done and i cannot wait to show you the final photos.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 6:43pm
have now sourced an original tank cap...BRAND NEW  what a stroke of luck and also have been told that the grafics will be here next week.tommorow have decided to give it a maiden run just to make sure that the clutch and gears are working. i know that some of you would like to see a set of photos so i thought that at the machines first show i would take some on the show field.

-------------

Posted By: will_haggle
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 8:46pm
Hi John, great workmanship, before you start it spin the engine over with the clutch in, this frees the clutch up so you don't get a crunch when engaging a gear. Old British bikers trick, really necessary on Trimphs, but they all need it.....

-------------
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:06pm
will,thanks for that hot tip you probably have saved a hairy moment with that because i was thinking earlier that if it sets off and i try to put into neutral and it does not select,then i would have to let go and run around to the front to stop it !!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 5:20pm

have now sourced an original tank cap...BRAND NEW  what a stroke of luck and also have been told that the grafics will be here next week.tommorow have decided to give it a maiden run just to make sure that the clutch and gears are working. i know that some of you would like to see a set of photos so i thought that at the machines first show i would take some on the show field.
maiden run a total success,and thanks for the tip on the clutch mecanism mr haggle.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 6:23pm

Final photos for you,and with the help of titch and george at villiers parts we have completed another milestone.hope you enjoy these as much as i have enjoyed the restoration,even although it had its bad points with sparks timing etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 6:31pm
Final photos now on show

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 6:39pm
John, my jaw has just hit the floor (ouch)... That is great !!

Hope thats coming to Ardingly !!

-------------

Posted By: Andy Frost
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:21pm
Top job John , I do like the slightly more unusual machines , hope to meet up with you at Ardingly.

Andy.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:23pm
it most very certainly is paul,when i recieved the graphics from titch i was like a little boy with a new toy. he makes an exellent job every time.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Andy Frost

Top job John , I do like the slightly more unusual machines , hope to meet up with you at Ardingly.

Andy.
  like wise andy i think you and i have similar tastes.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:36pm
very very very excited now john the dashwood display will be fab   with your goodwood well done mate one ab fab restoration      think we are all really looking forward to meeting the simar kid in person
best steve

-------------
colwood register

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by steve d

very very very excited now john the dashwood display will be fab   with your goodwood well done mate one ab fab restoration      think we are all really looking forward to meeting the simar kid in person
best steve
  exellent i hope that i do not dissapoint you . would like to put faces to forum names it helps no end when using the forum.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:58pm
Great looking job -john. The decals are the finishing touch to another great restoration. The machine will certainly stand out at a rally. Your hard work really shows. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by series1gem

Great looking job -john. The decals are the finishing touch to another great restoration. The machine will certainly stand out at a rally. Your hard work really shows. Clap
  gareth this gives me great pride because i have been more than lucky to bring it back to life so to speak,and the bonus to me unknowingly is the fact that they are not so common,which is an extra bonus. thanks for your comments

-------------

Posted By: TITCH
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:38am
Another Excellent Job John! Proud to be connected, again.
Titch

-------------
Restorations Final Touch!

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by TITCH

Another Excellent Job John! Proud to be connected, again.
Titch
yes thats been a pleasure and as gareth says when the graphics are applied the transformation makes the project complete.thanks for your advise and help.

-------------

Posted By: WrigleyOC
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 9:44am
An excellent job John. Will be a pleasure to see it and meet you at Ardingly.

-------------
Regards
Robert Farmer
Wrigley/Wessex Industries product specialist.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 4:02pm
thanks for that robert,likewise looking towards seeing you and the show.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window