Print Page | Close Window

Blowback through Carb?

Printed From: VHGMC
Category: The Main Forum Area
Forum Name: General talk and discussion
Forum Discription: Equipment, Shows, Problems, talk about them all here.
URL: http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6944
Printed Date: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:24am

Topic: Blowback through Carb?
Posted By: spriggan
Subject: Blowback through Carb?
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 6:26pm
Hi Guys, I'm having a problem with the viliers 2 stroke engine on the Clifford Mk1, I think I know what the answer is already, but would like to hear any other options to the problem.

Whats happening is the engine will run, but keeps blowing back flame through the carb which then usually makes the engine die, after spitting a load of the oil out of the airfilter can! I have tried altering the timing a little +/- but that makes no difference.
The compression is good as are the rings, BUT there is a chunk of the edge of the piston missing down to the first ring, and needless to say its in line with the inlet port from the carb to the crankcase.

I'm guessing that there is no way of restoring this piston, so a replacement would be required.... Is there anywhere that deals with good used parts, or a replacement engine for the Clifford?

Any help would be appreciated.

Keith.

Replies:
Posted By: will_haggle
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 9:31pm
The Villiers on the Mk1 is a 25C, which is a very common type, they were used on Allen Scythes and Howard Bantams. I can speak from bitter experience here, don't keep trying with it, my Moto Guzzi spat flame back through the carb, and it caught fire! Took the roof off the garage....

-------------
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...

Posted By: spriggan
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 9:27am
Ouch. Burning the garage down would defiantly not be the way ahead.

Posted By: Andy Frost
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 4:57pm
I would say you're spot on with the problem. 25Cs are very common , and new pistons are readily available.
If , like me you use your old machines , then I wouldn't hesitate on going new , if just painted up for show you will probably be OK with secondhand.

Andy.

Print Page | Close Window