Forum Name: Pedestrian operated machines
Forum Discription: Mowers, rotavators and two wheeled machines
URL: http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7009
Printed Date: 08 Jul 2020 at 2:12pm

Topic: Atco standard
Posted By: kpthorsefan
Subject: Atco standard
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 5:11pm
I have acquired a atco 16" standard mower, i am trying to find out what year it was made ? i am sure it was made after 1922 ( i think ) would anyone have any idea..... I had a tinker with it this afternoon and got it running a treat

-------------
NOTHING RUNS LIKE A HORSE. WHEELHORSE OF COURSE.

Replies:
Posted By: series1gem
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 6:35pm
Not allways but often, if you remove the flywheel cover on these villiers, you will find a date stamped in a small circle.

-------------
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by series1gem

Not allways but often, if you remove the flywheel cover on these villiers, you will find a date stamped in a small circle.
Thanks for that s1g, will have a look in the morning..

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 7:34pm
Just re read it the date is usually stamped in the flywheel.

-------------

Posted By: wristpin
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 9:06pm
Couple of machines that I have worked on have had a date written in pencil on the magneto armature back plate.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 11:47am
Originally posted by series1gem

Just re read it the date is usually stamped in the flywheel.
just had a look and the only number i could find is this..?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:49pm
Unless others can tell differenty that wont be much good in dating it. Ive got a feeling they were made from the mid 30's to the 50's, have you the serial number of the mower by any chance as some atco numbers translate into dates. There was somebody 18mths-2 years ago on here who posted a blog, covering the restoration of one of these but i cant find it at the moment.Perhaps somebody who was following remembers it and can give you the link.

-------------

Posted By: Andy Frost
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 5:09pm
Firstly we really need to establish what engine model you have fitted.Most Standards have a MKV1C engine , which only had a very short production run (1922/3), it has long been my belief that Pughs bought a load of these up upon Villiers ending the run , and subsequently fitted these to machines throughout the latter part of the 1920s and into the early 30s.
Having said this , the pictured machine is 22" , and some of these did have larger engines fitted.
As far as date stamping on magnetos is concerned , I have date stamps on some early mags , but not on others , quite why this is so , I'm not sure.

Andy.

-------------
Early Villiers Twostroke spares Always Wanted

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Andy Frost

Firstly we really need to establish what engine model you have fitted.Most Standards have a MKV1C engine , which only had a very short production run (1922/3), it has long been my belief that Pughs bought a load of these up upon Villiers ending the run , and subsequently fitted these to machines throughout the latter part of the 1920s and into the early 30s.
Having said this , the pictured machine is 22" , and some of these did have larger engines fitted.
As far as date stamping on magnetos is concerned , I have date stamps on some early mags , but not on others , quite why this is so , I'm not sure.

Andy.
just had a look at the engine model and looks like mark V1-C...?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 6:34pm
I wouldn't like to predict the exact year , just to say that it's mid to late 1920s.

Andy.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 7:39pm

I have just found some more engine numbers under some thick grime Smile, looks like   H . 18565

-------------

Posted By: plonker
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:11am
Nice machine, go to the "Old Lawnmower Site" and you can look up lots of information, I have the 24" model which like the 30" has a J.A.P. 600cc engine fitted, with an oil pump and a duel oil and petrol tank.

-------------
plonker

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by plonker

Nice machine, go to the "Old Lawnmower Site" and you can look up lots of information, I have the 24" model which like the 30" has a J.A.P. 600cc engine fitted, with an oil pump and a duel oil and petrol tank.
Thanks for that plonker, had a quick look and looks like i will become a member..

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 11:47pm

Been up me work shop this evening and dug out me wood lathe cleaned it all down and had a go at making some rollers, the ones that were on it were well rotten and filled with woodworm...

-------------

Posted By: hdtrust
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 1:23am
Time to get your tape measure out again,but this time measure the width of the cutting cylinder not the whole machine!
I think you will find it is a 16 inch Atco Standard.
Its not a 22 inch on 2 counts,1,It has the wrong clutch plate.2,The engine is wrong.
The 16 inch was introduced in 1923 and ceased production in 1930,yours dates to between 1923 and 1926.
As to Andy,I suggest you keep the romantic stories away from Engineering history
Regards HDTrust

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 8:06am
Originally posted by hdtrust

Time to get your tape measure out again,but this time measure the width of the cutting cylinder not the whole machine!
I think you will find it is a 16 inch Atco Standard.
Its not a 22 inch on 2 counts,1,It has the wrong clutch plate.2,The engine is wrong.
The 16 inch was introduced in 1923 and ceased production in 1930,yours dates to between 1923 and 1926.
As to Andy,I suggest you keep the romantic stories away from Engineering history
Regards HDTrust
Well spotted, I dont know why for the life of me why i put down 22" and not 16", i bought as a 16" and thanks for the info thats top job....Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 5:47pm

As to Andy,I suggest you keep the romantic stories away from Engineering historyRegards HDTrust

Lost me there , care to elaborate.

Andy.

-------------

Posted By: hdtrust
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 10:32pm

Andy.
I think your thoughts on Atco buying large amounts of this engine to use as late as the 1930's is incorrect.The production time was greater than you stated.This engine was also used by other manufacturers as well to include Auto Culto.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 4:22pm

Andy.
I think your thoughts on Atco buying large amounts of this engine to use as late as the 1930's is incorrect.The production time was greater than you stated.This engine was also used by other manufacturers as well to include Auto Culto.

Hi , it is quite well documented that the V1C(6c) engine was only produced by Villiers for two years (1922/3) so on that score I'm all ears as to how the Standards were produced after this with the V1C engine,which they undoubtedly were.
As for Auto Culto using them , I've yet to see one , I would say you are confusing them with the V111C(8C) , which is a very similar, infact almost identical looking engine of exactly the same CC.

Best   Andy.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 5:09pm
All stripped down ready for a good clean and get all the old paint off. I was stunned to how many parts there are to it.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:45pm
Thats the woodwork side of it done, rollers and the handles, now to get stuck into the metalwork side of it..

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 2:39pm
I need some help, going through the pile of parts something took my eye"the tool box" its all metal and the ones i have seen in pictures seem to have metal lids and wooden trays? so what would be the correct type or where there two sorts made ? Any help would be great...

-------------

Posted By: Charlie
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 3:18pm
I am sure mine has an all metal toolbox, would need to have a look to confirm this.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Charlie

I am sure mine has an all metal toolbox, would need to have a look to confirm this.
Thank you charlie that would be a great help if you could, that would be one thing less to sort out.

-------------

Posted By: milkman
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 6:43pm
When I visited our local 'scrappy' this summer there was a Standard on the pile, it still had an auction sticker on the tank!  I intended to make an offer on it after I unloaded but alas it had by then been crushed with the Hymac, "No collectibles in my scrap yards, it's all old junk to me" the owner told me with a laugh.  Another case of nearly but not quite I'm afraid.

Pete.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 9:47pm
That tool box is exactly like the one on my 24" Atco from the 1920,s

-------------
plonker

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 11:54am
Originally posted by milkman

When I visited our local 'scrappy' this summer there was a Standard on the pile, it still had an auction sticker on the tank!  I intended to make an offer on it after I unloaded but alas it had by then been crushed with the Hymac, "No collectibles in my scrap yards, it's all old junk to me" the owner told me with a laugh.  Another case of nearly but not quite I'm afraid.

Pete.
I know the feeling i had a similar sort of thing happen to me a few years back.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 11:55am

That tool box is exactly like the one on my 24" Atco from the 1920,s
Thank you philip thats great to know..!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 3:24pm
After having a closer look at the fuel tank and getting all the paint and muck off i come across some bad repair work, some cracks which had lumps of solder on the top and the same with the flange on the fuel tap..

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 6:06pm
I had to remove the fuel tap flange completey as it was a real bodge job.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 3:15pm

Removed all the old solder off the tank and fuel tap flange refitted and soldered back in place, now for the cracks...

-------------

Posted By: Dieselhead
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 5:39pm
Thats a neat job you have done thereThumbs%20Up

-------------
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Dieselhead

Thats a neat job you have done thereThumbs%20Up
Thank you for that chris, its just the cracks i have to sort now... Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 2:55pm
One end of the fuel tank done.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 8:55am
Fuel tank all repaired, sealed and pressure tested,and filled the big dent on the top and one or two of the small ones.

-------------

Posted By: simar kid
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 9:07pm
thats some thing you rarley see today,CRAFTSMANSHIP  keep up the good work.Thumbs%20Up

-------------
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 9:23am
Originally posted by simar kid

thats some thing you rarley see today,CRAFTSMANSHIP  keep up the good work.Thumbs%20Up
Thank you for that john i will try.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 8:35pm
Fuel tank all done and has had a few coats of primer.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 7:36pm
Some parts are now starting to come out of my electrolysis tank.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 3:32pm
Frame parts are coming out of the E tank fast now.

-------------

Posted By: jtg1
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 4:13pm
thats impressive, must be some tank!!   been using brick acid lately with good results, then finish with a coat of phosphoric acid just to make quite sure!

-------------
The impossible i do at once, miracles take just that little bit longer!

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by jtg1

thats impressive, must be some tank!!   been using brick acid lately with good results, then finish with a coat of phosphoric acid just to make quite sure!
Yes it does a good job and it holds a fair few gallons and my other one holds even more, i have never tried brick acid but i will have to try it out.

-------------

Posted By: will_haggle
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:46pm
What Voltage/Current do you use? Mine turned out black, so I guess I was using too much current.
Like SK said great craftsmanship....

-------------
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by will_haggle

What Voltage/Current do you use? Mine turned out black, so I guess I was using too much current.
Like SK said great craftsmanship....
Hi alan, I find if you scrub it all off as soon as it comes out of the tank and get all the muck off and dont let it dry then scrub it all with soapy water, then let it dry, then a good wire brushing.

This is what it looked like when i took this part out this morning.
And when i washed it then scrubed it with soapy water. Have not wire brushed it yet, will let it dry then i will.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 7:37pm
Here is the same part i wire brushed off when it dried off.

-------------

Posted By: TITCH
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 8:05pm
You never fail to amaze me Kevin, your quality and dedication to the cause is impeccable!!

Titch

-------------
Restorations Final Touch!

Posted By: will_haggle
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 9:41pm
Ok, I've got some seriously rusty Merry Tiller parts to do....

-------------
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 10:51pm
Been reading up on rust removal by electrolysis . There seem to be varying opinions on using a battery charger as the power source - will be interested in the experience of those who are actually doing it.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by TITCH

You never fail to amaze me Kevin, your quality and dedication to the cause is impeccable!!

Titch
Thanks for that TITCH.... Its coming along very well, alot of it is all primed up ready for paint.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 1:00pm
Some of the frame now with primer, and i have now got the paint code for the green top coat..

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 5:33pm
While waiting for some paintwork to dry i have given some of the brass work a bit of a polish.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 11:16am
Just been going through my box of parts that are left and the three drive chains, what would be the best way to clean and free them off? they are very stiff and rusted....

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 12:25pm

How do i go about getting the measurements and dimensions of these chains if i try and get new ones for it?.

-------------

Posted By: nigel
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 1:28pm

try this firm i have used them many times send them your old chains and they will match them at a reasonable price   KENT BEARINGS

Address: Unit B, 26 Moorhurst Road, Saint Leonards, East Sussex TN38 9NB
Phone:01424 854422 Wink

-------------
ime very posh

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by kpthorsefan

Just been going through my box of parts that are left and the three drive chains, what would be the best way to clean and free them off? they are very stiff and rusted....

I would try one in  your electrolysis bath - don't see that it would hurt!
While on that subject, what power source do you use to operate the bath?  - quite fancy having a go at the process.
Otherwise try soaking them in a bath of diesel fuel or central heating oil (Kerosene) for a week or two taking them out occasionally and giving them a "wiggle".
Normal description of chain is by the pitch - distance between the pivot pins, the roller width and diameter eg 1/2" x 5/16" x 5/16". Additional information may cover such things as the plate thickness and pin diameter.
Another reply to your questions has suggested Kent Bearings in Hastings - used them for years and they also have branches in Ashford, Whitstable  and Medway.
If you are going to renew a number of chains it may pay to buy a 5m length and some connecting links and make them up to size yourself.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 6:21pm
if you dont mind me being honest here,for all your effort and hard graft,dont spoil the project  as they say, for an hapeth of tar.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 9:07am
Originally posted by nigel

try this firm i have used them many times send them your old chains and they will match them at a reasonable price   KENT BEARINGS

Address: Unit B, 26 Moorhurst Road, Saint Leonards, East Sussex TN38 9NB
Phone:01424 854422 Wink
Thanks for that nigel, I will look into it.....

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 9:11am
Originally posted by wristpin

Originally posted by kpthorsefan

I would try one in  your electrolysis bath - don't see that it would hurt!
While on that subject, what power source do you use to operate the bath?  - quite fancy having a go at the process.
Otherwise try soaking them in a bath of diesel fuel or central heating oil (Kerosene) for a week or two taking them out occasionally and giving them a "wiggle".
Normal description of chain is by the pitch - distance between the pivot pins, the roller width and diameter eg 1/2" x 5/16" x 5/16". Additional information may cover such things as the plate thickness and pin diameter.
Another reply to your questions has suggested Kent Bearings in Hastings - used them for years and they also have branches in Ashford, Whitstable  and Medway.
If you are going to renew a number of chains it may pay to buy a 5m length and some connecting links and make them up to size yourself.

Hi angus, I have just this minute put one of the chains in the tank to see what happens, i was not sure what sort of metal chains were made up off, will let you know what happens....

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 10:49am
I would think your 'tank' Kevin, would cope with these chains admirably, it's only 'o' ring chains you'd have to worry about.
I always have a gallon of red diesel about though, for a job like this and any 'penetrating' job needed. Just leave it a week or two, and as suggested, give it a 'wiggle' as & when.

But, I am seriously going to look forward to your tank's results Kevin. Be wary that they don't become 'flexible' sideways movement...as the tank will remove 'all' deposits..however, the quality of those chains on the Atco will be far far superior to any you'd purchase today, or in the last 20 years!
If any of the chains 'stretch' after treatment, you could always remove a link??yes??

keep at it Kevin,  I 'Drool' over your work,

OH!!! and a Happy & Prosperous New Year Kevin!! and everyone else too!

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 12:59pm
Great Work! and congratulations so far, As far as chains are concerned, just wash in petrol to get off the grease, then leave in "Brick Acid" (Hydrochloric acid from the builders merchant) overnight, your chains will be squeaky clean and totally derusted, have a look at my post from Nov. 2009 "Acid Rust removal" and you can see some chains coming out of the bath, Perfect and quick!

-------------
plonker

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 1:43pm

I would think your 'tank' Kevin, would cope with these chains admirably, it's only 'o' ring chains you'd have to worry about.
I always have a gallon of red diesel about though, for a job like this and any 'penetrating' job needed. Just leave it a week or two, and as suggested, give it a 'wiggle' as & when.

But, I am seriously going to look forward to your tank's results Kevin. Be wary that they don't become 'flexible' sideways movement...as the tank will remove 'all' deposits..however, the quality of those chains on the Atco will be far far superior to any you'd purchase today, or in the last 20 years!
If any of the chains 'stretch' after treatment, you could always remove a link??yes??

keep at it Kevin,  I 'Drool' over your work,

OH!!! and a Happy & Prosperous New Year Kevin!! and everyone else too!
Hi TITCH, The chain is now out of the tank and soaking in some oil, i think it came out a treat so i dont think i will have to replace them Smile will put a photo on, just got to wait to see what the other two are like when i get them out. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 1:48pm

Great Work! and congratulations so far, As far as chains are concerned, just wash in petrol to get off the grease, then leave in "Brick Acid" (Hydrochloric acid from the builders merchant) overnight, your chains will be squeaky clean and totally derusted, have a look at my post from Nov. 2009 "Acid Rust removal" and you can see some chains coming out of the bath, Perfect and quick!
Hi phil, Brick acid is on my list to get having never tried it..Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 8:16am
The first chain looks like it turned out ok, just a bit pitted on the outside edges,

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 1:27pm
SPEECHLESS!

I knew this would be the result though somehow.
I'm going to make me one of them tanks...anything steel that isn't bolted down is going to get the treatment!!

Spot On Kevin!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 1:35pm

SPEECHLESS!

I knew this would be the result though somehow.
I'm going to make me one of them tanks...anything steel that isn't bolted down is going to get the treatment!!

Spot On Kevin!

Me too!
This may be useful

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 1:40pm
That's by far one of the better descriptions I've read, Thank You.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 8:23am
All three chains now done and look to be fine Smile, will now leave to soak in oil ready to refit.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 9:29am
That's 1920s steel for you!

Posted By: Phil Somers
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 2:25pm
Kev,
Just before you refit your old chains lie them down on a flat surface and hold one end still and pull the chain as if trying to stretch it, mark the point that it stretches to. Then push the end towards the fixed end and measure the distance. If it represents more than 5% of the chain length or you think it feels sloppy, replace the chain as it will damage the teeth on the sprockets.
The only other thing you may find is that the smaller spockets are worn if that is the case even if you replace the chain it will not fit snug on the sprocket. Bit of a catch 22.
The larger sprockets  don't suffer as much pressure so therefore don't normaly damage the same.
Take the chain into a good bike shop they may be able to help fit and cut to size, like John said, "don't spoil the job for an hap'eth o tar".

Phil

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Dididothat

Kev,
Just before you refit your old chains lie them down on a flat surface and hold one end still and pull the chain as if trying to stretch it, mark the point that it stretches to. Then push the end towards the fixed end and measure the distance. If it represents more than 5% of the chain length or you think it feels sloppy, replace the chain as it will damage the teeth on the sprockets.
The only other thing you may find is that the smaller spockets are worn if that is the case even if you replace the chain it will not fit snug on the sprocket. Bit of a catch 22.
The larger sprockets  don't suffer as much pressure so therefore don't normaly damage the same.
Take the chain into a good bike shop they may be able to help fit and cut to size, like John said, "don't spoil the job for an hap'eth o tar".

Phil
Hi phil, So thats what for the hap'eth of tar meant, never heard that one before! brand new chains will now be fitted. Many thanks for the advice and to sk " john " as well...Thumbs%20Up
The chain size would be 1/2"x3/16 ( .305" roller ) if i am correct..

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 8:12am
!/2" x 3/16 was used by carrier bikes and when I had bike shops they all stoked at least one or two. You would probably get at least a couple of replacement chains out of one. If you just buy a chain splitter and a couple of joining links you should be "on yer bike"

Phil

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 10:10am

!/2" x 3/16 was used by carrier bikes and when I had bike shops they all stoked at least one or two. You would probably get at least a couple of replacement chains out of one. If you just buy a chain splitter and a couple of joining links you should be "on yer bike"

Phil
Hi phill,
I went down to our local bike shop yesterday and its still closed for the hols, when i got back i got to looking up for chain splitters and chains on the internet and come across some pictures of old chain splitters not ever seeing one before or what they looked like, then i recognized one picture because many many years ago i was given a box full of old tools, so i went and had a look and i came across this Smile. I take it that this is a chain splitter.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 10:23am
That one may be old but you can still buy exactly the same item - got one in the workshop and another in the "emergency box".

Posted By: Hillsider
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 11:23am
Originally posted by wristpin

That one may be old but you can still buy exactly the same item - got one in the workshop and another in the "emergency box".

I bet it still works as good as new, there is not too much that can go wrong with it unless it has been really well butchered.
I would advise trying it out on a spare chain to get the idea of how it works.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 6:32pm
Love it, not many people know how to use them but when you do, only push one pin out on one side, then slide the side plate to one side. If you push both pins out you can never re-align the pins.

Phil

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 4:25pm
Now that i know its a chain splitter i will try it out on one of the old chains, and many thanks for the advice ray & phil...Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 4:38pm
You'll suss it Kevin,
The reverse of a puller..it's a pusher!!

Titch

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 2:34pm
Not to much to report, snow & cold weather has held up the paint work.
But I have cleaned up the cutting cylinder which was very dirty and very rusty and primed it..

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:47am
I noticed that you have painted your petrol tanks but they are brass. Mine are brass with the transfers fitted straight to the tank. Should they be green?

Phil

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 11:20am

I noticed that you have painted your petrol tanks but they are brass. Mine are brass with the transfers fitted straight to the tank. Should they be green?

Phil

Believe that it depends on the date of manufacture - early ones unpainted, later ones green.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 10:03am
Yes mine is brass also, but because of the large dent in it and the cracks I had to repair I thought it would be best painted, but I am on the lookout for a decent tank then I will switch it over..

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 3:14pm
Started top coating at the weekend Smile, but rain stopped play..Angry.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 11:27am
Need a little help, is it still possible to get these oil cups? its off the fixed clutch disc, the one that's on it has the flip top missing..

-------------

Posted By: Charlie
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 11:34am
just googled 'flip top oil cups' and got several suppliers

-------------
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Charlie

just googled 'flip top oil cups' and got several suppliers
Thanks for that Charlie, just done the same thing and have got an address, just got to check out the thread size..

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 12:34pm
A bit more of the red paint done..

And the new beech handle fitted, to starting handle.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 1:54pm
At long last I worked out how the metal roller comes apart..
I kept picking it up and looking at it then put it back down, so at the weekend I thought I would get stuck into it and " sorted "....

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 4:48pm

Metal roller painted and all back together, and all the inside sprayed with wax oil....

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 5:31pm
This is coming on a treat just cannot wait to see finals. did you find any grease nipples insde the roller when you got it apart ?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 1:44pm

This is coming on a treat just cannot wait to see finals. did you find any grease nipples insde the roller when you got it apart ?
Thank you for that john, as for the grease nipples I never noticed any ? but I will take it apart just to make sure.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 12:16pm
Got some more done at the weekend....

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 8:33pm
Kevin,
it just gets better and better.......

-------------

Posted By: Dieselhead
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 8:40pm
Me thinks that you will never want to start it let alone cut grassLOL

-------------
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:47pm
I think that if I was present on the day of start up..the whole world around me would go black & white..and the scene would be full of fine English gentlemen in surroundings of a perfect Great Britain! ( it used to be,..they say)

I will say, that I have met Kevin, we are not 'buddies' but I'd like to think 'friends' and the quality of his work is second to none, and the engineering & build quality will be of the very same nature.
I can't wait to see the end result of this Atco, let alone see it in real life!

Keep at it Kevin!!!
Titch

-------------

Posted By: daviddale
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 12:35am
Talking of old Atco's, I sold a J.A.P engine recently of about 200cc the fan with it and some tubing looked like a mower, but it looked too big, 4 stroke and side valve. Buyer informed me it was off a 1930's Atco De Lux model.
piston and crank seized though, but 50 was fine as far as I was concerned,Dd.

-------------
Regards, David.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Dieselhead

Me thinks that you will never want to start it let alone cut grassLOL

Well I hope it will start again and cut some grass Smile, but not on our lawn its not flat enough, I use the honda rotary for that...

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 7:15pm

I think that if I was present on the day of start up..the whole world around me would go black & white..and the scene would be full of fine English gentlemen in surroundings of a perfect Great Britain! ( it used to be,..they say)

I will say, that I have met Kevin, we are not 'buddies' but I'd like to think 'friends' and the quality of his work is second to none, and the engineering & build quality will be of the very same nature.
I can't wait to see the end result of this Atco, let alone see it in real life!

Keep at it Kevin!!!
Titch
Thank you my friend...Thumbs%20Up. That was very kind of you to say....Smile.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 8:36am
Managed to get to use my new spray gun its been in the box for weeks, and the first bit of top coat going on....

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 8:30pm
what a great depth in that finish looks as if its 10 ft deep !!!!! breath taking. exellent.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:49am

what a great depth in that finish looks as if its 10 ft deep !!!!! breath taking. exellent.

Thanks for that john, but a long way to go yet...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window