Forum Name: Ride-on machines
Forum Discription: Tractors, crawlers and ride-on mowers
URL: http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8020
Printed Date: 16 Jan 2021 at 2:33pm

Topic: ransomes mg2 crawler
Posted By: crawlerlad
Subject: ransomes mg2 crawler
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 11:13pm
can anyone please help me i have a ransomes mg 2 crawler the magneto is clicking when engine is turned over but it does not seem to have the gumpth to start it just carrys on clicking please help thanks the crawlerlad.

Replies:
Posted By: will_haggle
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 12:20pm
The click is when the impulse trips, this speeds up the mag when it's due to produce a spark.
First test is, take the plug out, lay it on the cylinder head and turn the engine over until the mag. clicks, you should see a spark.
If no spark there take the plug off the end of the lead and holding the insulation, hold it close to a head nut or other good earth, turn the handle past the click again you should see a spark.
No spark here? Now look for the points in the mag. Are they separating when the impulse trips?
Is there a white coating on the points? Clean and adjust the points.

-------------
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...

Posted By: jim beacon
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 5:24pm
Try a new plug as well - I hade  a recent case of intermittent  Midgi~Culto caused by a fouled plug!

-------------
The Allen & Simmonds Register

http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto - http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto

For users of Auto Culto, Autogardener, Horticulto, Midgiculto and other Allen & Simmonds products.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 12:46am
thank you for replying i have got a spark on the plug and engine has been running but i dont think that i have got any compression as i can turn the handle with ease what can i do ps i have had new rings put in i do not know how to get my compression back please reply thanks alot the crawlerlad

Posted By: wristpin
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 1:00am
If you've had it running there must be some compression! Were the valves reseated and the gaps set when the rings were done?
If you squirt a bit of engine oil into the cylinder and crank it over and the compression is improved the rings are not doing their job - glazed or worn bore. No improvement and it's probably valves.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 9:32am
thanks alot for that we will try that the tappets have been resat but when it did run there was no smoke at all but we only had it running for 20 minutes thanks alot the crawlerlad

Posted By: Charlie
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 12:38pm
Is decompression lever working correctly?

-------------
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 9:26pm
thanks for that idont know weather or not the compression lever is working corectly i have took the inspection plate of and the compression lever when pushed down lifts the right hand tappet up slightly on the flat side not the curved side is thisb working corectly please reply thanks alot the crawlerlad

Posted By: Charlie
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:03am
When not operated the decompression lever should be clear of the tappet to allow valve to close fully.

-------------
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 12:17am
thanks alot we will see if it is clear of the tappet it has lost its comporession somewhere all the best crawlerlad

Print Page | Close Window