Print Page | Close Window

Rallies and the cost of them

Printed From: VHGMC
Category: The Main Forum Area
Forum Name: General talk and discussion
Forum Discription: Equipment, Shows, Problems, talk about them all here.
URL: http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8308
Printed Date: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:07am

Topic: Rallies and the cost of them
Posted By: pmackellow
Subject: Rallies and the cost of them
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 7:09pm
Just a bit of food for thought here folks, what with the recent rumbles about insurance and paying to attend rallies...

Every event costs money to put on,from the gathering of a few friends as we do in Sussex (petrol/diesel and tea) to the bigger events like Ardingly

What people need to realise is just how much these events cost for the organisers, for instance at a certain show in Sussex after the showground has charged to hire the site there is also a charge levied for each and every caravan on site on the showground by the showground (3.60 this year to provide Elsan points and deal with the associated waste) plus charges for rubbish disposal, toilet cleaning etc... costs are going one way and that's up...

I am aware of course that it costs exhibitors in time and money to attend shows but just take a bit of time to appreciate how much these events cost to put on...

-------------
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature

Replies:
Posted By: ppplant
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 7:52pm
For those of you who are familiar with the Newark tractor show, the big marquee costs 15,000.00.

Posted By: TITCH
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:17pm
Hmmm,

difficult & sensitive area this Paul..
However, I shall be polite & courteous...

It's the trade exhibitors and general public that pay for these extortionate prices, added to by the cost of ludicrous insurances etc etc.
Let's put it like this, many of you will know the area of a pitch that I require for my van... that certain, very good, show in Sussex cost me a tad over 300 for my pitch & diesel, then there's insurances, wear & tear, Thursday afternoon to Monday evening lost away from office & phones, food & drink etc etc.

Newark, 2 years ago, well... let's just say it would have been very very close to a 600.00 weekend to have my trade stand there and the same year you could have played rugby the size of three pitches outside the Crocker Halls because it was empty areas outside.

Every April/May I have to pay over 1000 booking my pitches and don't see the returns for well over 12 months if at all.
It's a very sensitive subject in reality, it's caused me to make major changes for next year and how & what I attend the shows in & with, you'll see though.
I can assure all though, that the 'trade' does talk.....

I enjoy every show I attend of course, it's great for PR & great seeing new & old faces, but, it's at a price.. a price that only the trade can decide if it's economically viable.. sadly, maybe wrongly, it doesn't concern us how & why the organisers spend their money.. we have to care about how we spend our money......

Equate the above to the profit margins of my 'Stickers'

Hope I've not sounded as though I'm biting!
Titch

-------------
Restorations Final Touch!

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:28pm
Points taken Titch, to be honest the post was not aimed at someone like yourself, more to the exhibitors who want to turn up on a Wednesday, get a few free days camping out of the show and then go home again...

Traders like yourself pay their way and add a lot to the events, so please don't take offence...

How much stuff can you carry on a BMB President anyway ??

-------------
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:32pm
I understand Paul, just something that does actually make 'the trade' talk.. and believe me I deal with a lot of the big names in my work.. a lot of unrest shall we say at organisers penalising us....

but yes, quite right what you say above, but it's a bloody nightmare trying to adjust matters without causing offence... oh dear... life eh??

Titch

-------------

Posted By: series1gem
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by pmackellow

Points taken Titch, to be honest the post was not aimed at someone like yourself, more to the exhibitors who want to turn up on a Wednesday, get a few free days camping out of the show and then go home again...

Traders like yourself pay their way and add a lot to the events, so please don't take offence...

How much stuff can you carry on a BMB President anyway ?? [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="middle" /> [IMG]smileys/smiley36.gif" align="middle" />

I can see exactly where you are comming from Paul, and I don't totally disagree with you, however I personally would never pay to attend a show. Firstly there's the cost of buying my machines, then the restoration costs involved. I know all of which have to be written off to enable me to enjoy my hobby, which is fair enough. The biggest problem I've got at the moment is scince I became a dad and keri had to give up work due to child care costs there's only one wage comming in, and to move my machines around I have to realistically have to use a cab star which averages around 20mpg, so if any where was to charge me I simply wouldnt attend. It's my choice like its the organisers choice.

-------------
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:38pm
Point taken Gareth and I know money is tight for everyone, the point of the post was to alert people who expect something for nothing to the fact that all these events cost money and the organisers are not necessarily just counting the profits, they have to make it financially viable...

If that certain event in Sussex does not pay its way in 2014 there is a possibility it could be the last one...

-------------

Posted By: series1gem
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:48pm

Point taken Gareth and I know money is tight for everyone, the point of the post was to alert people who expect something for nothing to the fact that all these events cost money and the organisers are not necessarily just counting the profits, they have to make it financially viable...

If that certain event in Sussex does not pay its way in 2014 there is a possibility it could be the last one...

I would be a great shame if shows start to close. I'm sure it's not the case with this one however I have witnessed first hand that some shows don't help themselves. I fell victim to shall we say internal politics at one of my local shows as a result I no longer support it in any form, and I'm not the only one from what I heard.

-------------
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator

Posted By: def90joe
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:48pm
I've been to a several rallies as a punter this year. Some were good value for money, others I have to admit were not, and I doubt I'll return next year.
I know the organisers have to try to cover costs, but it is a very fine line between covering costs and putting off the public through excessive entrance fees.
Maybe I'm a bit of a cynic, but it's been my feeling for a while that rallies are going to get pretty dull in the not too distant future. Insurance conditions and Health and Safety are going to become ever more onerous, and unfortunately, an element of blame has to lie with exhibitors themselves. We've all seen the steamers abandoned outside the beer tent with a token child left in charge, H & S will cotton on to that one. Add to that, the quantity of alcohol that is consumed by some guys before driving a 10 ton plus machine around the show site, it's an accident waiting to happen.
I expect the insurance people are already fully aware of some of these antics, which all adds to the premiums. I know I'm refering to steam, but it all slides downhill. It's my guess it won't be long before machines aren't allowed to move during opening hours.
On the bright side, at least it is encouraging a lot more informal working days!

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:54pm
Everyone's comments here are valid of course..
Sorry if I'd took the angle slightly diverse.

but it is a very fine line between covering costs and putting off the public through excessive entrance fees.

This is so so true of course.

titch [IMG]smileys/smiley32.gif" align="middle" />

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by def90joe

I've been to a several rallies as a punter this year. Some were good value for money, others I have to admit were not, and I doubt I'll return next year.
I know the organisers have to try to cover costs, but it is a very fine line between covering costs and putting off the public through excessive entrance fees.
Maybe I'm a bit of a cynic, but it's been my feeling for a while that rallies are going to get pretty dull in the not too distant future. Insurance conditions and Health and Safety are going to become ever more onerous, and unfortunately, an element of blame has to lie with exhibitors themselves. We've all seen the steamers abandoned outside the beer tent with a token child left in charge, H & S will cotton on to that one. Add to that, the quantity of alcohol that is consumed by some guys before driving a 10 ton plus machine around the show site, it's an accident waiting to happen.
I expect the insurance people are already fully aware of some of these antics, which all adds to the premiums. I know I'm refering to steam, but it all slides downhill. It's my guess it won't be long before machines aren't allowed to move during opening hours.
On the bright side, at least it is encouraging a lot more informal working days!

mmm, don't get me started on the steam brigade, as you say that is an accident waiting to happen...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 8:59pm
It's good to see this post has sparked some constructive debate...   

-------------

Posted By: spawnofoldgit
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 9:22pm
I use the shows as a form of mini break. I would be happy to pay a few quid in support of the ones that I like. If it were a tenner a night for example I'd be happy with that as it's still cheaper than a holiday. Most of my time off from work is spent doing things at home or in the garage so shows are my time to relax, look at things that are interesting and spend time with friends. To me that's a price worth paying. Incidentally I'm allergic to the sun and not fond of aeroplanes as they make my head feel like it's going to explode because of my ears! So foreign holidays are a pain! Give me a vintage rally any day :)

-------------
Of all people, you know who I amwho the world needs me to be. Im Wonder Woman

Posted By: steve d
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 9:30pm
A lot of interesting points coming up here . But have no fear at present ardingly does nt charge   and has no intentions at present but I can say that even with the good weather this year it only broke even and wether your the organiser a marshall or exhibitor we all do it free of charge for me I have to go to monthly meetings umpteen phone calls with the team and usually a weeks holiday to get the section ready and hopefully make sure for a pleasant time for one and all .and the same goes for all events.
And I think the biggest problem these days is drawing the public through the gates .this year I know were looking at having the likes of a dog show within the showground and other different things not yet decided there are a lot of hard decisions either way in where to save money.
And what paul says is quite correct that horsham historics pay the showground just over three pounds a caravan .I now own a small caravan and my own feeling and I stress my own feeling is if you go to a campsite for a couple of nights how much would it cost . Hence thats why hh give the option to give a donation which seems to prove quite popular.
at least it gives the exhibitor the choice.i know one thing I ve always felt strongly about is why you should have to pay steam engines to go to a show and give free coal when the rest of us have to pay for ourselves touchy subject I know but thats my own oppinion.

-------------
colwood register

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 9:33pm
OOhhh, I'd better steer away from this post now....
Steve, have you ever thought about buying and running a 'Steam Engine' HOWEVER... I will stop at this now,

Lenny,
Are you still doing oil changes though??
Titch

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2013 at 9:43pm
Thats ok titch d ont worry in this area alot of the engines are owned by major firms who do have money .and wether you have a stationary engine an old car a tractor or a large commercial vehicle whats the difference and you take the big scammells and aec vehicles how much do they cost to run   .plus im trying to say if you pay one exhibitor you should pay them all it has to be fair.

-------------
colwood register

Posted By: neilhorse
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 6:13am

Is this thread directed at a comment i made earlier this year ?

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 8:26am
No not at all neil this is a topic thats been going for ever across the board .and it certainly gets tongues wagging.
Is this a good debate/topic for the cultivator?

-------------
colwood register

Posted By: Charlie
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 8:45am
Another consideration regarding getting the public through the gate. There are too many shows.
One example in Somerset, due to internal politics and falling out amongst those involved in organising the show there are now 2 shows on consecutive weekends, less than a mile apart,madness.
The steamers appear to be making themselves more unpopular amongst other exhibitors simply because they think they deserve special treatment, eg payment for attendance and fuel and don't get me started on H&S; just let me say how easy is it to scald yourself on a hot boiler/firebox or stick your hand in the belt/flywheel of a showmans engine with no barrier or guard to keep you away. At the same time we have to keep our static machines behind a barrier!

-------------
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'

Posted By: will_haggle
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 8:55am
I went to both of the ones Charlie referred to above and it was sad to see that one was struggling, even though I would have thought that the first one with it's excellent location near a major attraction and a good site in the school holidays would have attracted a better crowd. it was also a shame that people who helped at one felt they were unable to visit at the other.

-------------
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:06am
At Heddington and Stockley in Wiltshire the static displays, where the Horticultural exhibits go (two of us) is normally just inside the gate. This year I had to go up the hill and we were to park next to the motorcycles who had been put in that position a couple of years ago. I was forced to move twice by the m/c steward, then a security man on a quad came along and tried to move me again! I said that if I had to move again it would be out of the gate! Another chap came all the way from Reading with a display of speedway bikes was shunted around and on his third stop, being told to move again he went home! If this event clashes with Ardingly next year I'll be in Sussex, thank you very much, even though H & S is 4 miles from home!

...and there was a safety issue that the NTET are aware of, child riding on the tank of a motorcycle....

I had the best welcome ever at Strawberries and Steam, thanks to Moggyjim and his crew....

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by neilhorse

Is this thread directed at a comment i made earlier this year ?

Hello Neil, no it's nothing to do with whatever comments you made, as Steve says its an ongoing topic of conversation and debate.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 1:28pm
Going back to where Paul started this thread, he talks about show organisers costs. I quoted the cost of 1 marquee, but I should have also mentioned the 10 full time staff and their wage bill, the small number of vehicles used by the ground staff which have to be fuelled and serviced, the bill from Severn Trent for sewage services, the bill from Anglian water for fresh water, the bill for skips and other waste disposal services. Money also has to be put aside for future projects. On show days, security staff send in a bill, extra staff are hired for help in the catering halls; I could go on.

Newark showground is owned by a charity, for most of its events it is not allowed to charge entry for people under 16 years old, neither is it allowed to make a profit.The charity exist to further the agricultural industry.

As Paul says in the first post on this thread, there are costs about which we know nothing.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:25pm
Thanks for your input Phil, you have hit the nail on the head.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 11:32pm
Having just got home from another ardingly meeting I can now say that the exact cost of the south of England showground to horsham historic vehicle club is 23, 000 for the weekend   and this year the show just broke evens and the previous year it lost 10, 000   some things have been cut to save money   which were not taken lightly .but the good news is no charges to exhibitors for camping.Instead they are asking for voluntary donations to help keep the show and horsham historics alive.
D ont think anyone can say farer than that.

-------------
colwood register

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 11:43pm
My wife has just finished the judging sheets for this year. 40 judges, each of whom gets a meal voucher, worth about 5.00, equals  200.00.  44 stewards who get 2 breakfast vouchers, each voucher worth the same, equals 440.00.
Total 640.00.
Obviously, as a businessman, Titch has to decide where his money has the best effect, but if he did choose to spend it at Newark, it would not cover the food bill just for these 2 groups of people.
He, quite rightly wants smaller rents; the paying public want cheaper gate prices.
The council tax on business premises keeps rising
The electricity bill keeps rising.

I fear for the future of many shows and rallies.

Then we get the exhibitor with the non-running engine from a Suffolk Colt, comes Thursday afternoon, goes Monday morning.

Posted By: hdtrust
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 1:31am
An interesting subject! or a can of worms!
Back in the 1970's I was organizing Sheffield Steam events, granted the money was smaller amounts, but the ratios the same.The rally weekend broke even before the first punter paid to come in!
Come on Paul I know how expensive the running of Ardingly is, and it is a good show run by good people.
On the monies coming in IE Trade stands, the areas should be finite in the planning stage, also for caterers, when the tenders go out to caterers, never allow one caterer to bid for more than one type of stand because otherwise, they will bid car-blanch for all the stands, then resell the pitches between themselves and you as an organizer will not see the takings.
One thought ppplant, if you know how much your meal vouchers are going to be 640! Then why did you not do a deal with one of the caterers to allow for this when they bid for their pitches!

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:18am
None of the outside caterers were prepared to put on a full English breakfast, with tables, chairs and a clean tablecloth at 6.00oclock in the morning, under cover and warm.  Remember, all the judges and stewards are volunteers, this is the only reward they get.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:49am
Interesting to see how much a permanent showground has in additional overheads eg council tax, sewerage etc when compared to a rally in a field. It may well be that the additional overheads are the nail in the coffin for such shows whilst the smaller (usually) rally in a field type event can continue, so long as they can get volunteers from the organising club.
A very interesting topic, I will have to see if I can include some of this discussion in The Cultivator.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:28am
Charlie, I think that is the point that Paul was making when he started this thread. Most of us don't consider what expenses have to be paid BEFORE we even get an exhibit on the ground.
An airing in the Cultivator will inform VHGMC members, at least. Phil

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by ppplant

Charlie, I think that is the point that Paul was making when he started this thread. Most of us don't consider what expenses have to be paid BEFORE we even get an exhibit on the ground. An airing in the Cultivator will inform VHGMC members, at least. Phil

Spot on Phil, that is exactly the point I am trying to make.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 6:11pm
This is the same of course for us in business, we too are paying out BEFORE we get there, and it isn't one show either. I may be small fry, but the ratio is the same as stated.
I may have said before, but I will not name names, when I was given a price for my stand at Newark two years ago, I was advised that 39,000 visitors pass through the gates over the weekend ( 39,000 being a guess from memory ) however my polite reply was that 38,950 of them weren't specifically coming to find me!! So a pointless statement.
That year, and I suggested this and was rudely laughed at, if they charged a flat rate of 100.00 per stand outside the Crocker Halls, they would have OVERFILLED that area, massively.. I know of 6 different traders that have said and STILL say they would have gone if that was the case.. it would increase.. it's a simple case of mathematics that SOME people cannot deduce..just like my business, ' Better for a lot of little - than a little of a lot'!! and I successfully trickle on every month of every year.. I don't want a Rolls Royce or a 1000 acre farm, I just want to satisfactorily trundle on & pay my way..
Today, I have been on the phone to Newark,two little '**** ups' one resolved one pending.. and it's only cases of common sense.. I shall not elaborate here as yet, but I probably will at the show...

Keep it small I say, or keep it sensible.. ask the trade & ask the public.. I hate politics!

Titch

-------------

Posted By: simar kid
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:29pm
a really good read this thread,and anyone who is suffering with the problems associated with this,i do simpathise greatly and whole heartedly. I often wonder if the organisers ever look outside the traditional box of show accounts etc by getting someone involved who is good at turning large multi national companys around. the person who comes to mind for me is sir john Harvey jones. I hope you see what I am getting at with this statement.

-------------
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:37am
Sadly Sir John Harvey Jones passed away a few years ago, but his series on telly was very good, a man with a real passion for manufacturing.

-------------

Posted By: simar kid
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:58am
Was a must see program. I admired him a lot. He was so straight forwad in his approach and got good results when allowed. He just struggled a bit with morgan but did a fantastic job with i c i.

-------------
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop

Posted By: moggyjim
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:42pm
thank,s for the compliment willhaggle hope to see you and some more members next year last weekend in june

Posted By: plonker
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 1:07am
A very interesting topic, as someone who has never exhibited at a show, I will throw in my two penneth for what it is worth, as a customer or "Punter" I am a great fan of Game fairs and country shows, and over the last forty years they have become too expensive and too big, when they were in a Farmers fields they were affordable, and enjoyable, but today they have grown out of proportion, they are often little more than shopping malls, how many retailers of Chinese tools do you need at a show? and the catering is a disgrace, junk food at high prices.
Any organiser of a show that can not break even, needs to go back to basics, the answer is not to rip off the public to balance their books, if they cant afford the showground, dont go there, as far as exhibitors are concerned, I think that any show organiser should thank their lucky stars that people are prepared to travel at their own expense to these events, camping sites should be free for them at least. I have attended some small shows , not much in the way of Horticultural stuff, but the vintage tractor boys are always there, along with steam and classic cars,

-------------
plonker

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 10:05am
Even for the organisers of the smaller shows costs are ever rising when you take just getting rid of the rubbish is nt cheap as you now have to takethe likes of landfill tax Iin to consideration thanks to our marvellous mps . Ive been involved in organising many shows since the nineties which started out cheap and gate prices have gone up and up   .we are all griping but how much does it cost to go to a football match now even clubs like brighton are now just short of thirty pounds for ninety mins .they say goodwood now will cost you forty pounds plus .and another thing to consider is the changing face of what the public want .to get an average family out now with kids alot are looking for the likes of peppa pig to be there or characters from other shows . As with all shows many exhibitors and public turn up without thinking what actually goes in to trying to please and ive been on both sides .at the end of the day does anyone say dorset steam fair is nt a rip off ive never been there because all the stories say its difficult to be accepted stories of charges for camping not the best security with things being stolen plus mostly done for profit largest steam fair or not    but do people complain about that show

-------------
colwood register

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 10:42am
GDSF costs visitors 18 for a day (although there is a discount for advance booking and some local newspapers have 2 for 1 offers). It might sound a lot but whenever I go I spend 10-12 hours there so a good long day. Not sure if all the 'entertainment' such as tribute bands is really relevant or necessary but probably a good source of revenue by attracting non vintage enthusiasts for just the evening.
Couldn't agree more with comments about country shows and game fairs becoming little more than shopping malls eg the Bath & West Show and look what happened to The Royal Show, it has gone.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 11:04am
I think your right charlie what has happened to the true country shows . Theyve lost there roots   why not just call them open air markets.trouble is all organisers have done it to pull people in the gates its the generation we live in now .but on the other foot for thoughs who just go to a show what would you do to keep them going and be fresh for the public and exhibitors a like .I find it hard enough for the section at ardingly to change things a little every year so as all our many supporters still enjoy coming . Plus what plonker states about horti exhibits at shows is true and most shows still d ont know where to put you thats why I m lucky that with all the hard work we have put in at ardingly we now are major contenders with cars tractors etc plus getting our own arena event but thats been through many hours of unpaid hard work .much the same as the committee of our own club say and nothing happens without the volunteers who have the passion and commitment. Maybe more shows need people with the drive to get more horticultural sections around the country to say we're not part of the tractors or stationary engines.

-------------
colwood register

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Charlie

Couldn't agree more with comments about country shows and game fairs becoming little more than shopping malls eg the Bath & West Show and look what happened to The Royal Show, it has gone.

I call it paying to shop!

-------------

Posted By: Darmic1
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 12:06pm
The local big show to me is now known as The Royal Couny of Berkshire Show. It used to be known locally as the Newbury Show. Its held just off Junction 13 M4, September time. Ive never seen any representation of our hobby, yet the show is all about Agri/Horticulture. It like many used to be great for all, but sadly now is almost exclusively "rich farming type" with many stands devoted to upper market cars, and machinery. The trade stands are made up of "designer brand" retailers with so called "show specials" There is now only a small display area for "rural crafts" which used to be one of the main attractions. It would be great to see some of our exhibits on display here. I dont seem to be able to find much at all in Berkshire........

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 12:48pm
I think steve d has a fair point with regards to horticultural sections being a stand alone section,not just the poor relations of the tractor section. Its only with graft and enthusiasm that sections like the one at Ardingly will thrive.

Times are changing and I for one think that the adage of "no exhibits no show" could now be better expressed as "no effort no show"...

So if you want a good show and a friendly welcome Darmic, come to Ardingly next July...

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 1:27pm
If you want to see our hobby represented at any show I would suggest you as the exhibitor make contact with the organisers. I know we were always invited and very much welcomed at The Amateur Gardening Show, before it changed name and eventually ceased.
I think one problem show organisers fail to realise there are TOO many shows. The paying public only have so much spare cash and time so cannot go to all of the shows. This may sound harsh but I think it will be good for everyone if some of the shows do cease, the butter is getting spread so thin now you can see the gaps.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 1:46pm

So if you want a good show and a friendly welcome Darmic, come to Ardingly next July... [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

Thanks, I have already provisionally said "yes" to Ardingley 2014. But as I said, there are very few 'local' events, yet this an Agri/Horti area. Who is the rep for the Berkshire area???

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Charlie

If you want to see our hobby represented at any show I would suggest you as the exhibitor make contact with the organisers. I know we were always invited and very much welcomed at The Amateur Gardening Show, before it changed name and eventually ceased.
I think one problem show organisers fail to realise there are TOO many shows. The paying public only have so much spare cash and time so cannot go to all of the shows. This may sound harsh but I think it will be good for everyone if some of the shows do cease, the butter is getting spread so thin now you can see the gaps.

I think the way things are going Charlie some of the shows will cease to exist before long...

-------------

Posted By: nigel
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 2:30pm
i agee whith the comments it happend down here, we had a show called step back in time it was great until new people took it over and it got realy big even helicopter rides they sucked all the money out instead of reinvesting then it went bust, but three years ago it was relaunched as rurul pastimes back to what it had started out as and its going from succes to better every year, i can take any of my machines there ride around all day on them if i want /use the working area if i want/line them up on display if i want/ go round the ring if i want/ no jobsworths just friendly helpful stewards. just one problem only a few of us turn up with horticulture stuffConfused

-------------
ime very posh

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 2:17pm
Fascinating thread!!  Titch wants more stalls, Plonker wants fewer stalls, Charlie wants fewer shows. All are perfectly valid points of view and I can agree with all of them. I am glad I am not a show organiser!!

To pick up on another point made by Charlie, I make a case each year to have 1 hall almost entirely of horticultural machines, in an effort to increase awareness of them. I am not a member of the VHGMC, and we get only 1 member offering to help at Newark. I would LOVE someone to come along and try to raise the profile of these machines. Phil

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:46pm
Well we are bringing along one or two bits this year Phil, can't guarantee they will fill a hall though...

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:04pm
So if I wanted to exhibit at a show, I would need to approach the organisers myself? As an individual, that probably wouldn't carry much weight!
If, on the other hand a small group got together and put a 'Club' representation together..... that would have a much better chance of success. Who is the Club rep covering the Berkshire area? Or is that position vacant. Need some advice on dealing with show organisers.
Anyone from Berkshire, Wiltshire, South Oxfordshire or anywhere else for that matter be interested in perhaps meeting up and putting a plan together for an event in the Central south region???
A new thread will be started on new site for above if any interest shown.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:07pm
Thats a good idea Darren and something us Sussex boys have done, ie approach venues etc as a group representing the club, thats how we got the Meet and Greet events going a few years ago.

I don't think there is a Berkshire rep (but I could be wrong), how about putting a post on the new forum suggesting a meet up of like minded souls ?? The response you get will make up your mind !!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window