Print Page | Close Window

Questions or Problems with new website

Printed From: VHGMC
Category: The Main Forum Area
Forum Name: General talk and discussion
Forum Discription: Equipment, Shows, Problems, talk about them all here.
URL: http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8313
Printed Date: 09 Dec 2019 at 4:15pm

Topic: Questions or Problems with new website
Posted By: Charlie
Subject: Questions or Problems with new website
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:09am
Please use this topic to post questions etc relating to the new site.

-------------
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'

Replies:
Posted By: will_haggle
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:32am
I've not had an email, Charlie

-------------
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...

Posted By: stimpy
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:17am

So is the new forum strictly "members only" ?

I think I asked this before but didn't get an answer....  probably because I'm a non-member Ermm

-------------
Ransomes MG6 1954

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:49am
The new forum is open to all.
You can register for a 'free' trial which will allow you to post topics and replies for 30 days. After that you will need to become a club member to continue access. Club membership will also give access to 'members only' pages such as back issues of club magazine.
All this for £1/month, absolute bargain.

-------------

Posted By: TITCH
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:48pm
I'm confused folks!

Have we got a new website OR forum? or is it both?

Do we lose the content of this forum in time then and do I have to 'sign in' to the new forum??
I've just been on the site and it doesn't recognise my details if I try to sign into the forum???
And have we to pay £1.00 a month, or is that relevant to members subscription fees?
Thank You,

Titch

-------------
Restorations Final Touch!

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:55pm
It is a new website and forum. You need to register on the new site as old id and password will not be transferred. It is FREE to paid up club members, another benefit of club membership.
The old forum will close but will not be lost it will be archived onto the new site. Far too much good info to loose.

-------------

Posted By: pmackellow
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 1:08pm
How do I get to the new forum and register from here ??

-------------
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 2:00pm
OK Thanks Charlie,

So, if I go to the new website & register onto the forum from there. Do I use my existing sign in & password or do I make a new id & password.

I'm very concerned about the information on the 'old' i.e. THIS forum.. as there's loads & loads of posts that receive posts that keep it going, such as peoples restorations/repairs etc, sometimes left for a month or so whilst work or life gets in the way, then they come back to add to it.. there's quite a few that I follow.. will we lose the whole topic I wonder???

Genuinely trying to understand this folks, but mainly the signing in process...
Titch

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:27pm
Is there a different address for the new website ??

If so what is it please ??

-------------
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature

Posted By: nigel
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 5:54pm
well ive just been on the new website and there is nothing on there! is this what we have been waiting for over a year?Confused none of my projects or any one else"s is on there in fact there arn"t any posts on thereConfused please enlighten me charlieCry

-------------
ime very posh

Posted By: woody2
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 6:03pm
Don't see anything wrong with the existing site, so why change it?

-------------
Edward

Posted By: series1gem
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:10pm
Ive just tried uploading to the projects section and it refused to let me, even when I deleated the photos to get the file size down.

-------------
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator

Posted By: Darmic1
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:23pm
Please dont shoot me down, but I have to admit..... for all the hype, the new site looks good on the front page. But!!! The new forum is a bit of a let down...... It seems less intuitive and the pictures appearing as a postcard is well...... hmmm! Marmite springs to mind. I know its all new, I sincerely hope that as it gets used, it will develop the feel of the old forum........ but.......... im just not sure?
Also just looking round the new site, There doesnt appear to be a calender for events? An oversight? Or a work in progress? As someone looking to start showing my machines next year, it would be useful to know where and when these events are held.

Posted By: Steve in Bed
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 11:12pm
Hi Charlie

Sorry but have posted my comment in the wrong thread so have copied it below. In the meantime I have submitted some posts on the new website and have come across a couple more issues/queries:

~ no option to preview posts before submitting? This is a shame as I found this very useful as a final check of my rubbish typing!!

~ even worse, I can't see that it's possible to edit errors in a post once submitted, or to delete it. If this is the case you may occasionally see some dyslectic gibberish from me then!

Regards
Steve

Originally posted by Steve in Bed

Hi Charlie

Good to see the new website up and running although a shame that some users are having problems getting into it.   I have just few comments so far:

~ the Gallery appears to be missing unless it's just me being blind? It was on the trial website. I was looking forward to using this.
~ our personal sign-off at the bottom of Posts does not appear to be available, or is it just tucked away somewhere?
~ I agree with the wider comment from many members that it may help transition if some of the more recent active posts are transferred to the new website?

I don't envy you the task you have ahead sorting everyone out on the site and this after all you've done already. Good luck!

Regards
Steve

Posted By: owen
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:51am
Originally posted by pmackellow

Is there a different address for the new website ??

If so what is it please ??

http://www.vhgmc.co.uk/ - http://www.vhgmc.co.uk/

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:17am
Been on the new site, I can see it's going to be good when I've got use to it, just one thing, how do I edit my reply.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:21am
Well,
Brave move I think, a very, very brave move.
My concern is the keeping of existing posts/projects going, plus getting to the original post from the start of a restoration.
Look at Darmic1's Howard for example and the 6X6 Wheelhorse the Allen of Kevin's etc etc etc etc. What happens in this situation? It appears that this is all going to be brand new, and I mean, brand new.. no,it will have lost the 'feel' for an original excellent story book on pc. and with respect to all that have committed to doing the new forum, don't forget that humans are creatures of habit and that the format of the 'new' forum isn't a forum layout that is internationally recognised like this one.

A VERY BRAVE change, but I believe still need fine tuning, if it's now classed as 'ready' then again, with the greatest of respect I think the format/layout of the forum most definitely needs changing to the layout as this one, the website is just fine, but in reality I never ever look at the website as the forum is the activity. I hope this is treated as constructive criticism not a moan!

Titch

-------------

Posted By: pete0250
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:13am
its new, its going to be different, give it a go before condemming it.

-------------
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.

Posted By: meadowfield
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:17am
hmmm,

I'm here because I clicked on the link and got the fantastic new website... Clicked on all the tabs and had a good read, really good job to those involved. Forum...that's going to take some getting used to, I can see a few are not going to be happy. Change is generally good and I'm sure the benefits of a fresh forum and database outweigh the negatives, but I'm going to find it hard to adapt! As the others say we can't afford to lose the old stuff, it's just so useful.

-------------
me fatha allus toldus thez three kinds of engineer - them what can add up, an them what can't

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:15am
Originally posted by TITCH

Well,
Brave move I think, a very, very brave move.
My concern is the keeping of existing posts/projects going, plus getting to the original post from the start of a restoration.
Look at Darmic1's Howard for example and the 6X6 Wheelhorse the Allen of Kevin's etc etc etc etc. What happens in this situation? It appears that this is all going to be brand new, and I mean, brand new.. no,it will have lost the 'feel' for an original excellent story book on pc. and with respect to all that have committed to doing the new forum, don't forget that humans are creatures of habit and that the format of the 'new' forum isn't a forum layout that is internationally recognised like this one.

A VERY BRAVE change, but I believe still need fine tuning, if it's now classed as 'ready' then again, with the greatest of respect I think the format/layout of the forum most definitely needs changing to the layout as this one, the website is just fine, but in reality I never ever look at the website as the forum is the activity. I hope this is treated as constructive criticism not a moan!

Titch

^^What he said^^

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:42am
Hmmmm,
on the 'new' forum, it appears I HAVE to log in to be able to read a post..is this the case?
Not Good, I more often than not, in fact virtually always view & read through countless interesting topic subjects without Logging On, generally due to the risk of any nasties in there, and there are lots on all sites of course. I will only sign in when I wish to post on the forum..
This will catastrophically decimate the forum from letting 'viewers',.... view. These people are the potential new members, let alone existing that don't NEED to sign or log in???? I may be wrong, but I cannot just read postings without logging in.

Whilst I hate criticising, and believe me I do, I just cannot get to grips with the fact we are losing, or at least confusing the issue regarding viewing old posts. They are the backbone for reference and information.. I think something needs to be done, creating a link will not be the answer.. I do think though, 'If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It' For viewers.. nothing was broken, viewers turn into members..
Let's hope I can be proven wrong, I've spent many many hours looking at this present forum.. I would like to continue..with contribution too.

Titch

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:11am
Darmic, if you click on the postcard the image will open in larger format.
A full list of events is published in The Cultivator, if people can be bothered to tell me about them in advance.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:13am
woody, whilst the old site works, most of the time, there are issues with loading photos, and error messages such as you have insufficient rights etc, the software is outdated and a new site and forum was the only option.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:15am
nigel, as has been stated previously the old forum cannot be moved to the new site as it is. However, it will be moved and saved as an archive. Whilst this may cut some topics off in ,mid flow it will draw a line under the old topics that keep getting restarted when a new topic would be better.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:26am
Steve in Bed, there is an edit option. If you look at the relevant post there is an edit option on the same line as the date. You can also move a topic or trash it to delete it.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:29am
owen, edit option is to right of date line on your post.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:30am
pete0250, thanks, just wish the others were so understanding.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:33am
titch, I have raised the issue of guests not been able to view post with the development team. It is certainly our intention that they can read posts.
The old forum may not be broke but some parts do fall off and a new site was the only option.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:35am
Well that is most of my morning gone, reading and trying to sort out the various niggles, some caused by members not reading what has been published before. Looking forward to going to work this afternoon, no internet so I wont be back on the forum till the morning.

-------------

Posted By: series1gem
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:42am
Still can't get posts to upload????????

-------------
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator

Posted By: spawnofoldgit
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:47am
Hi, I have just subscribed to the 30 day trial thingy. Just so you know my address is different to the one on my membership as this was my fathers address - will it be picked up that I am a member of will my ability to log on terminate after 30 days? I don't always get my copy of the cultivator straight away as it goes to my brother who now lives at my dads house - so apologies if the answer was in there!
I think it would be nice to have signatures as we do on this forum as it helps identify the people we are communicating with and also adds a sense of humour. Can that be added? Also why can't we see location information? It is nice to see when we are talking to members in Australia and the US.
The preview reply is also a sad loss as it allowed us to see if pictures had loaded the right way up and the text was in the right place. Can someone add this function? I don't think it over complicates things to have these additional features but makes the whole thing look more professional and doesn't cut corners.
I am not moaning by the way just commenting my thoughts. The main page is a vast improvement and much glossier than the old.

-------------
Of all people, you know who I am…who the world needs me to be. I’m Wonder Woman

Posted By: Roy H
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 12:02pm
Really sorry charlie that your getting so much hassle with this , and i'm afraid this post isn't going to help any, i did manage to get on the new forum (thanks to whoever for the email)by using the username (slightly different Hence my problems logging in) BUT you can't seem to view the original posts you can only add a comment or reply to a post you can't see? i did try to add my own post and while you can see the post header i can't read what i posted i can only add a comment or reply to it, maybe i'm doing something wrong here but i'm part of lots of different forums and while they are all different in one way or another you can usually work them out quite easily, i think this one needs intructions on how to use it or a bit of a rethink to iron out the bugs and make it a bit easier to use or peaple are just not going to bother, and that would be a huge shame,
i think this needs a bit more beta testing before we even think about losing this forum

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 12:52pm
Now,...

I am going to have to back out of this subject matter after this, possibly,..

Lenny is absolutely correct on everything she has correctly stated, more points that I'd not as yet seen.

Keeping the content of this forum as it is now is the backbone of VHGMC reading, I'm afraid that 'Shot In The Foot' is an understatement, BLOWN YA HEADS OFF is far more appropriate.
Sadly, I suspect that this post now of mine will be removed ( because it can be ) but surely to god the contributors to it should be the voice.
The new forum is not favoured, statistically seen in these last posts.. I'm afraid it could be a very very dark, damp lonely corner in there....

Titch

-------------

Posted By: Franktonpaget
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 1:27pm
I have to agree with Pete0250
I had some initial difficulties with the new website by treating it like the old one,but just be patient go back read the instructions and it all seemed to drop into place.

I find that in all aspects of life you become disadvantaged by not embracing new technology for example BT want to charge you for sending a paper bill.

So can we keep it in proportion, no doubt there will be problems and by reasoned discussion they can be overcome.

The one thing I find about VHGMC members is that they are a pretty reasonable level headed gang of people.

regards FP 

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 4:50pm
Like all new things there are a few teething troubles, but they will probably be ironed out in the end. As someone who is not particularly computer literate I can see that the new site was a lot of work to set up and as the old saying goes " You can't please all of the people all of the time" !!

Perhaps with the project posts a new one could be started titled "Project xxx part two" and reference viewers and readers to the archived Part One ??
Just a thought...

If the queries raised here are noted and actioned (if it's possible to accomodate them, it may not be), then we will end up with a site for the future and iwugwquvuvvjd or whatever name these spammers try to use will have to go somewhere else...

No doubt when this "old" site first went live there were problems, its not going to be right first time...

Keep the faith folks, it will be resolved...

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 5:49pm
are i think my problem is ive been logging in to the new website from when i was helping to set it upCry so i have now tried to log in again and my password does not work could you please email it to me charlieBig%20smile in fact ive just looked again and ime not even on the members list even though i regiserd ages ago. HELP!

-------------
ime very posh

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Charlie

Darmic, if you click on the postcard the image will open in larger format.
A full list of events is published in The Cultivator, if people can be bothered to tell me about them in advance.

Whilst I admit to not being a fan of change, I do understand that change is a requirement for progress....... unfortunately Charlie, the new forum in its current layout is not progress....... Yes, I can click on the picture, and yes it does make it bigger. BUT.... What about the text to accompany the picture??? Oh yes, its obscured by the bigger picture...... With reference to Events, not all are entered in the Cultivator, Agreed the majority of the large ones are. But unfortunately most of these are too far away for me. I have been to a few as a spectator this year and every single one was advertised on the forum. Please dont discount the forum as a means to promote our hobby......
I also belong to a few other forums, the majority of which use an almost identical format to the old site, without any of issues it currently experiences. I know that one site in particular is now 12 years old, about 10 times bigger in its entirity, with over 10,000 members and worldwide, accepting upwards of 100 posts per day......
Please do not think that I am not appreciative of the efforts put in by the admin and members who maintain the site, I am and I do.
I just feel that a bit more thought, or even effort should have been made to make the new forum as similar as possible to the old layout.....
This is not aimed at any one person, nor is it directed at the admin team. I do however feel quite passionate about this hobby. I enjoy it along with many others. To have our work admired and viewed adds to that enjoyment. It seems a shame for all that work to be packed up and archived away.
As this is a forum, an open forum where as long as the post complies with the rules, we have the freedom to express our thoughts. I do however fear this post may be removed, because it can.

Posted By: trusty220
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:56pm
Thank you for your thoughts. The important thing to appreciate is that the old forum is barely hanging together and needs patching up on a regular basis- one of these days it would have crashed completely and irretrievably, so something had to be done to replace it with a more modern alternative.
I accept that human nature is resistant to change and, as such, any change is looked at in a negative way.
Please be patient with the new site because once everyone has crossed over to it we can start building it up with more features that you want, just like we did with this one. We don't want to run before we can walk.

-------------
To infinity and beyond, but always back by 5 o'clock.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:43pm
Is there a private messenger facility on the new forum??

I can't seem to see one...

Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:59pm
with great respect to the admin staff here and taking on board all that's been said about being patient etc etc can we please have some sort of instructions on how to use the new forum please as i have spent most of the day trying to get my head around the new forum, i can log into the site ,or at least i appear to be able to , as a matter or fact i have just been on there TRYING to look at a post from Chap about the trusty ploughing match, but when i click on the header all i get is a message box to post a reply no trace of chap's original post, i take on board every thing that's been said about the new forum bedding in and the state of the old forum BUT when all said and done the old forum works and the new one doesn't,certainly not in my case any way and i'd like someone to tell my why it's not working and not keep telling me how bad the old one is and how wonderful the new might be because if it isn't sorted out a lot of the regular posters who's exploit's that we all enjoy reading about won't bother posting, i think the reason why members are so passionate about this certainly in my case is because we all care about the club and want to see it going forward not backwards.

Posted By: buyorsell
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:00pm
Just like to say I think new site looks great.Cant help but wonder why is it when our machinery plays up or breaks we spend hours fixing it but when we cant get onto new website all the toys go flying out of the pram,no offence,just saying

-------------
i like armadillos

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:02pm

Steve in Bed, there is an edit option. If you look at the relevant post there is an edit option on the same line as the date. You can also move a topic or trash it to delete it.

Charlie

Sorry I still can't see either edit facility or delete/trash.  Bloew is the screen as  see it when I view one of my posts.  There is an 'Edit this page' option at trhe bottom of the screen (shown on the secodn image) but if I select this it tells me 'You are not allowed to edit this item.'.  Am I doing somehtign wrong?

-------------
...in my Shed in Bedford

Posted By: vegikev
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 9:52pm
it seems that it is hit and miss with issues on the new site as i dont have any of the problems in the previous postsSmile 

-------------
all things pop-bang.....

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:15pm
Right progress.. of a sort i can now log into the new forum and view the post's correctly..but only if i set up a trial membership, which begs the question why can't i view them using the username and password that has been emailed to me as an existing member? answers on a postcard please !

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:43pm
I don't understand this having a username & password..
Is an existing member a paid up member and am I to expect to receive a new username & password, for whatever reason??
If I recall, I just signed into this 'new' forum with a new username & password.. or am I on trial??
I'm very unsure of the system, very unsure.....
Titch

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:52pm
Now that I've had my username and password, I've logged in and I've changed my password, put up the avatar I want, added will haggle to my user name and posted a few pictures, so it's working OK for me. Keep at it and you'll get on with it!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:59pm
No titch i had the username and password emailed to me and used that to try and get into the new forum where apon all the problems i have been listing in my posts came about, the only way i could get anything like normal use was to create a temp user account.. so there are still bugs in the system that seem to prevent a smooth change over for this forum to the new one, its a good job i have time on my hands cos those that don't just wouldn't bother i think,lets hope the bugs get sorted quickly,
Roy H

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:16am
titch, you will see many words of thanks and praise for the new site, a few are having, in many cases self inflicted problems.
As said before and I will say it again as some are not listening. THE OLD FORUM WILL BE SAVED AS AN ARCHIVE IT WILL NOT BE LOST.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:18am
spawnofoldgit, have you told our membership secretary about your change of address? Not a lot we can do if you haven't.
If you enter all the details requested when you sign up to the new forum you should be recognised as a paid up member and not be on a 30 day trial.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:19am
Roy H, odd I had a similar problem when we were testing the site and thought it had been fixed. I will pass details to web team.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:26am
paul, thanks for your patience. To answer your earlier question, it is not possible to move topics from the old forum into the new forum without a lot of work, any volunteers? Your suggestion of starting a project X part two see Y for part one is a good idea and we will have to wait and see if it can be done once the old forum is archived.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:29am
ok thanks for that charlie

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:29am
nigel, you will need to re-register on the new site, sorry.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:09am
Roy H, I understand your user id had a space in it which is what caused the problem.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:14am
Just to clarify members status on the new forum.
Those that pre registered (only 49 members) via the link published in issue 89 of THe Cultivator, will have received an e mail with their new id and password, (but only if they entered their e mail address correctly). This gives them paid up members access and not a 30 day trial.
Those that have not pre registered will need to sign up via the Free Trial giving ALL the details asked for, this will ensure that paid up club members get full access and not a limited 30 day trial access.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:05am
Charlie would it be possible then for me to delete my temp user profile and my old profile from here and register for the new site with a new user name and password but filling in personal details so as to show me as being a member? or should i wait for admin to try to resolve? Roy H

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:30am
Roy H I see you have posted on the new forum so I assume access problem is resolved. Developers are still investigating the issues around viewing topics

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:31am
Have been playing on new forum and await confirmation from other users but it seems that .pdf .doc files can be uploaded a great improvement.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:37am

Have been playing on new forum and await confirmation from other users but it seems that .pdf .doc files can be uploaded a great improvement.

Oh, that's useful, i've been using Dropbox but it's now full...

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 12:00pm
Just uploaded a PDF and it worked OK!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 12:08pm
for the time being charlie i can access via a trail membership/username
which i can use to view my posts and those of others ok the problem is still there with not being able to do these things on my members profile, the issue will come when i can't do this when or if the trail membership expires or trail users rights become limited, it would appear that there are some restrictions that have for some reason been placed on my members account such that i can't see posts that i have started or those that others have started but can only see other members replys , i would have thought it not beyond the developers gift to just remove the restrictions on my members account?

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:08pm
I've just put a couple of new posts on the new forum and attached some photos, all seems ok...

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:37pm
Roy, as I said before the developers are looking into the 'restrictions'.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 6:58pm
I'm happy to help out, if I can

Regards
Steve

-------------
...in my Shed in Bedford

Posted By: milkman
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 7:54pm

Just to clarify members status on the new forum.
Those that pre registered (only 49 members) via the link published in issue 89 of THe Cultivator, will have received an e mail with their new id and password, (but only if they entered their e mail address correctly). This gives them paid up members access and not a 30 day trial.
Those that have not pre registered will need to sign up via the Free Trial giving ALL the details asked for, this will ensure that paid up club members get full access and not a limited 30 day trial access.

Ah, that's why I cannot log on!!   I will have to use the trial period then as I missed it in the mag.Embarrassed  Thank you for clarifying Charlie.Thumbs%20Up

Pete.

Posted By: Hillsider
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:13pm

Roy, as I said before the developers are looking into the 'restrictions'.

Hello Charlie, It may be me looking in the wrong place but I cannot seem to find a Quote function in the new forum. Is this something that may follow on later? I find it useful when reply to a posting as it strings things together. I have sorted some things out just by exploring.
Thanks to you and the team for your efforts sorting things out.
Ray.

Posted By: lauber1
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 12:39am
Well, with no malice or disrespect for towards the admin, nor other members, and from an American point of view....I'm not sure all this forum/website changing is going to work out for me. As I read this, you pick my user name and password, and I have to pay $20 odd dollars a yr to view and post on it? Not attempting to come off cheap, but those of us in the states, don't really get any of the perks of membership offered to you gentlemen. I cant easily attend your events, I wouldn't be covered by the insurance, so the only advantage would be getting the Royal Mail delivery of the newsletter. Not saying its not a fine newsletter, as I have bought a few yrs back issue on CD and found them interesting.
Sorry to see everyone poking pins into a little Charlie doll and hope it all works out for the best at the end. I believe that we will just sit back and watch how things develop, and decide on a final course of action later. I will say that over the last couple of yrs, Ive grown to like this place and hope it doesn't disappear.

-------------
restoring history, one bolt at a time.

Posted By: neilhorse
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:56am
I just signed up to the 30 day trial  , Sorry to say that i found the experience quite disappointing.
I tried to add pics to a post  which were Copied & pasted from Photo bucket & it did`nt work  , all that uploaded was the url text & not the picture , a feature that the current site does with no problem then used the attachment feature at the bottom of page to add pics , & it didn't work  then tried to edit my post by trying to remove what i have said & it wouldn't allow access.
My fear with a lot of the glitches is that you may lose members as the new site seems  too complicated & some of our older members may not find it too easy to use .
This is what i have found with the site so far but i will persevere as the problem may just be me, but i did try to sort the problem myself for a very frustrating hour & half  & i still have got no further .
Oh one other thing . the spell checker does`nt work when i  view the site using firefox as the browser .

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:33am
Neil, I've found it very easy to upload pictures from my hard disk and you can put up PDF's and Doc's as well as Jpegs. There is one glitch which the committee is aware of, that is, if you don't log in you will only be able to see the last posting on a topic. Oh, by the way, I suppose you could say I'm an older member - 67!
Laber1, This forum will only continue for a short while and then it will be shut down. As Geoff (Trusty220) said it's creaking and every morning Charlie has to remove all the spam logins manually, this forum will not allow these cranks to disrupt things.
Sometimes committees (and Governments, as I'm sure you are aware!) do things we don't like but we elect them and it is up to their judgement to do what they see the best for us. Sign up for your FREE trial, we'd love to see you on it, if you don't like it after that then at least you've given it a go!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:35am
Hello Charlie.
Just put a post on this morning, and every think went fine. A few things I haven't found yet, but that will come with more use. I think if the new site could have kept posting topics the same as the old site members would have had at least something they were used to.
This is just a thought and It might not have been possible.   

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:57am
Lauber1, this would be sad of course but I can understand your situation, and indeed others overseas.
Send me a normal email would you again please, I still have something to send you.

Owen, I think you have accurately said it all!

Many, if not most, of the attendees at THIS forum, will have had and/or will have difficulties of some form or another.. Glitches/refusals/Non Permissibles call them what you will. Obviously different peoples 'Browsers' will operate differently for example.
But for me, the layout is the initial thing that I am very uncomfortable with, there isn't ANY problem doing it the same as this one despite what may be being said, it's the format used, or chosen to have available that any 'developer' decides to use, offer or advise. So to me, standardising a format is absolutely crucial to enable users to be familiar with a 'system' and this one is a standard format for tens of thousands of forums.

I hate criticising and I'm trying to be positive & constructive, my irritation is that it seems apparent that individuals comments are disregarded or 'fought' over with no thoughts of reconciliation considered.

I too,as many many others have spent far too many hours trying to work with this new layout, sadly it doesn't look like it will work for me, or indeed the settings that my computers are using.. inevitably I am not going to swap formats for one, quite unique, forum.. as much as massively have enjoyed the past few years.. contributing,helping and indeed receiving help.. I just wish this was set up as a test forum initially, the costs involved.. well.. Don't Run Before....

I must sign off now, I have work to do and I think I must note that this topic has been the fastest page growing of content EVER been on this otherwise very very good forum, what it needs is better filters and the simple ways of letting it know that we are humans and not other programmes signing in, it simply is not rocket science, I cannot see justification, financially or otherwise, I'm sorry, I cannot.. and I do think before I talk.

Titch

-------------

Posted By: sdarmstrong
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:03am
Can we be given instructions on moving our ongoing individual topics to the new forum or is it too complicated?

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:50am
sdarmstrong, yes it is too complicated that is why they have not moved yet. When the old forum closes everything will be moved as an archive. We would have loved to move everything at day one and continue but sadly not possible without massive expenditure of manhours (and money).
All you need to do is start a new topic restoration X (part 2).

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:01am
Originally posted by lauber1

Well, with no malice or disrespect for towards the admin, nor other members, and from an American point of view....I'm not sure all this forum/website changing is going to work out for me. As I read this, you pick my user name and password, and I have to pay $20 odd dollars a yr to view and post on it? Not attempting to come off cheap, but those of us in the states, don't really get any of the perks of membership offered to you gentlemen. I cant easily attend your events, I wouldn't be covered by the insurance, so the only advantage would be getting the Royal Mail delivery of the newsletter. Not saying its not a fine newsletter, as I have bought a few yrs back issue on CD and found them interesting.
Sorry to see everyone poking pins into a little Charlie doll and hope it all works out for the best at the end. I believe that we will just sit back and watch how things develop, and decide on a final course of action later. I will say that over the last couple of yrs, Ive grown to like this place and hope it doesn't disappear.

Hi, re the user name and password I understand that it is intended that we no longer hide behind a user name and are brave enough to use our own names to help folk know who we are talking to.
Re the password provided to get you on to the forum that can easily be changed to one of your own choosing, the new layout is all a whole new ball game and will take some getting used to for all of us. One huge difference is the improvement in how photos are posted, we shall be able to see pictures of your machines much better. Ray.

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:38am
It's a bit like buying a new car, none of the light switches are in the same place, various other things are different, but we get to know our way around them and then start to appreciate the refinements of the new model.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by TITCH

But for me, the layout is the initial thing that I am very uncomfortable with, there isn't ANY problem doing it the same as this one despite what may be being said, it's the format used, or chosen to have available that any 'developer' decides to use, offer or advise. So to me, standardising a format is absolutely crucial to enable users to be familiar with a 'system' and this one is a standard format for tens of thousands of forums.

I hate criticising and I'm trying to be positive & constructive, my irritation is that it seems apparent that individuals comments are disregarded or 'fought' over with no thoughts of reconciliation considered.

I too,as many many others have spent far too many hours trying to work with this new layout, sadly it doesn't look like it will work for me, or indeed the settings that my computers are using...

Titch

I just can't see your problem, Titch, All the same categories are there, they are just in a different order, or an I missing something?

-------------

Posted By: Trustymasseyman
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 1:23pm
Can I just remind you all that we are all volunteers. The committee DOES have posts to be filled .......
Also how many of us are driving a old car in excess of 20 years old ? This web site is old and out of date. Many of the above posts are saying the committee should of just left it a lone ...... If we had when this site died at least you wouldn't of had a place to air negative posts.
I look forward to seeing you ALL at next years AGM
written english is not my strong point but I've written this to HOPEFULY stop this run of negative post.
MR PRESIDENT - CHARLIE YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB and so say 98% of the membership

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 1:32pm
Hear, Hear!, Ivan, As soon as I told Charlie I had a problen it was sorted.....

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 5:19pm
yes i think it will be ok, it will just take some of us old farts a bit of time to get our heads round the new layout, but the problem that i am having is when puting pictures in of my latest project they seem to upload out of order and then i cant edit them into a right order, which is a bit pointless because people see the end result before what it started out like, so my question is how do we edit the pictures in order pleaseBig%20smile

-------------
ime very posh

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 5:59pm
nigel, first I have heard of the problem of photos not been in the right order, I will investigate and pass on to development team. Initial thoughts are possibly something to do with file names and software arranging them in numerical, alphabetical or date order. I know what you mean about editing photos after uploading, I have a couple I need to turn round. Had one complaint that power lead keeps coming out of monitor when someone turns it round to view image right way up!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:06pm
thanks charlie but i dont think file names or numbers make any differance maybe its the size of the file but the site realy will need some way of editing theseBig%20smile also charlie it would be good to see if your computor buffs could sort an area for an A---Z of machines so that there is a photo gallery in alphabeticle order of all machines collected, that would be better than brian bells bibleThumbs%20Up

-------------
ime very posh

Posted By: vegikev
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:07pm
i have had no problems using the new site/forum. there are a few things that would be nice to be added but not important for now. its a bit like driving in a new city, at first its all new and not sure which route to take but once you have driven there a few times it becomes simpler  Wink

-------------
all things pop-bang.....

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:16pm
well i have managed to move my project holder over to the new site, and it was not to much bother even for me and ime certanly not EGIMMACATID in computors, the way i did it was copy and paste my origanal text from the old site then reposted the picts  it seems to have worked ok execpt some picts are out of order but charlies on the caseBig%20smile

-------------
ime very posh

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:20pm
Just to check Nigel, did you upload the photos using the file upload, choose file, button?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:25pm
yes i did charlie and i did it in order that i wanted them to appear

-------------
ime very posh

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 7:22pm
This is just an observation note
The wheelhorse site Redsquare recently changed to a new forum software & was an instant success with the members  & they were also able to carry over the complete archive from the previous site , although the software cost a bit of money It was well worth the cost . could this be used here at VHGMC

The format of Redsqure is really easy to use  & the cost to implicate could Maybe come from subscriptions
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/ - http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/  check out the format
Just a thought

Posted By: Anglo Traction
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 7:57pm
I agree Neil, offering a Support Membership like Redsquare is a very good example of financing a Forum without committing everyone to be a Club Member. Many want to be part of a Forum and contribute with help, information and projects etc , but will never be able to benefit from a Club Membership, like those abroad for example. It's a shame really, but I sincerely hope that that the New Website and Club goes from strength to strength.
Regards.

-------------
Richard

Posted By: simar kid
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:17pm
tried to get the free trial ,having entered what was required and also using my old user name and password I was confronted with a problem. it appears that my user name and password don't work so I will have to ring someone up to talk me through it etc. probably my fault but to a none computer wise person it baffles me.

-------------
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:37pm
let me know how you get on simar kid cos i have same problem , i got around it for the time being by using the free trail but had to use a different user name and email address Roy H

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by neilhorse

This is just an observation note
The wheelhorse site Redsquare recently changed to a new forum software & was an instant success with the members  & they were also able to carry over the complete archive from the previous site , although the software cost a bit of money It was well worth the cost . could this be used here at VHGMC

The format of Redsqure is really easy to use  & the cost to implicate could Maybe come from subscriptions

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/ - http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/  check out the format

Just a thought

Now thats a forum!!!

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:56am
It's early days for the new site, as more members move over It's beginning to look more familiar. Their are a few issues but I'm sure they will get sorted. I've enjoyed this site an learnt a lot. And am confident it will continue with the new one.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:22am
neilhorse, I see Redsquare had a problem 12 months ago and everybody had to re register. The club has already spent a lot of money on the new website, we are not going to spend more and go through another change just to satisfy the one or two that refuse to accept change.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:29am
simar kid your old user id and password will not work on the new forum, you have to register and then use the password sent to you in the e mail the system sends automatically. You can then change the password to what you want once you have logged in.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:50am

neilhorse, I see Redsquare had a problem 12 months ago and everybody had to re register. The club has already spent a lot of money on the new website, we are not going to spend more and go through another change just to satisfy the one or two that refuse to accept change.

Yes I noticed that when I had nose around, did you also notice that they have advertising taking up screen space. Not something that i would wish to see here on the club site unless it became the only way to keep the site running.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:56am
We have no intention of having advertising on the site.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:03am
Interesting, I dont have any advertising from Redsquare on my screen .
Maybe it only applies to members????

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:05am
nigel, we have already considered the idea of an A-Z and it is on the 'to do' list.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:16am
Roy H can you send me a pm with your user id and password copied from the e mail you received, I want to test it to see what problem is.
Thanks,
Charlie

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:25am
just tried the Photobucket picture adding & it now works well 

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:30am
Another success story for the new forum.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window